Henray- Many years gone

GENERAL
"Oh look. It's the quitter."

"Henry, as Kid Danger...I thought you'd be stronger."

"It's not Captain Man's fault. He just needs a better sidekick. Just saying, I'd be way better at catching bad guys than, pfft, Kid Danger."

All of these thoughts and memories washed through Henry's brain as he struggled to fall asleep.

4 years ago, Henry made the biggest decision of his life. He quit being Kid Danger.

"Why?" You may ask. Well, Henry wasn't going to graduate from High-School, so, he finally released his feelings about Ray wanting him to be Captain Man when Ray retired. He had finally quit being Kid Danger after 5 years of non-stop peril.

Now, 4 years later, Henry has built himself a life that one could describe as adequate. After graduating from college with a teaching degree, he spent most of his time working at Swellview High-School, as a History teacher, the same position that Ms Shapen had found herself quitting, 2 years prior. He hadn't stepped foot in Junk 'N' Stuff, or even thought about the Man Cave in 4 years.

HENRY
I tossed and turned. Sleeping had become a struggle for me after I kept having vivid nightmares of myself dying as Kid Danger. I tried to wake myself up, but every time I tried to open my eyes, the nightmare would get more dreadful. My nightmare finally ended when the chime of my alarm echoed though my apartment.

Another day full of spoiled brats.

I loved being a teacher, since I could enact punishments on those who dared disobey me. I could see why Ms Shapen hated her job, but also why she didn't quit sooner.

I got out of bed, placing my pants on my dresser as I changed into my work clothes. One thing I didn't miss about my life, was the constant beeping of the watch that Ray once gave me. Somehow, since I gave the watch back as a sign of renouncement, the beeping still resonated in my head.

The recollection that have etched themselves into my mind still dwell, never seeking a chance to delete itself from my deteriorating brain. As I brushed my hair for the 3rd time this morning, my phone vibrated in my jacket pocket, leading my attention to the text that freed the thoughts that I tried to let slip from my memory.

Unknown number: Henry, this is Ray. Charlotte's been kidnapped. Please. Come to the Man Cave!

Read

It seemed as if history was duplicating once again. I remembered all the times that Ray would hologram me at home or at school or anywhere, dragging me into any and all situations that Ray, himself had become cornered into. Figuring that Charlotte must be in real crisis if Ray was coming to me for support, I called up the school, asking that they get a substitute for the day, as I had crucial business to attend to.
———
A long, long walk later, I had made it to Junk 'N' Stuff, now bigger and more prestigious. I saw the sign 'S.W.A.G', which then got me to read the informational plaque that was outside.

S.W.A.G, the Swellview Academy for the Gifted.

I opened the door, seeing a tube large enough for a small group of children. Feeling like the tube was like the elevator from 4 years ago, I got inside, let the tube envelop me, before looking down.

"Down the tube?" I questioned, before I was dropped down, half a mile below the surface. As soon as I reached the platform, Ray identified me and raced up to me, lugging me towards the monitors. The Man Cave hadn't been altered all this time that I hadn't been there. The only contrast from 4 years ago was the 4 teenagers that were now running around, using special abilities.

"Henry. I'm so overjoyed to see you again! I need your help to recover Charlotte. Dr Minyak has victimised Charlotte somewhere here in Swellview." Ray explained everything.

"Just to notify you, this is the last time I'm helping you Ray. I won't start rushing back here every time there's an emergency. I'm here for Charlotte, not for you." I made my point clear as Schwoz entered the room.

"Ready for one last adventure?" Ray smiled at me. I didn't smile back, trying not to give Ray any impressions that my previous statement wasn't true.

"Time to free Charlotte..." Ray started. One thing I did miss about everything, was the rhymes that Ray and I used to say on the spot.

"...and destroy Dr Minyak's target." I smiled for a second, before using one of the gumballs to transform into Kid Danger. It had been years since I last used the uniform and it somehow still fit me.

"We're coming Charlotte." I spoke before Ray and I ran up to the platform.

"You wanna say it?" Ray asked, looking over at me. I rolled my eyes and looked up.

"Up the tubes!" I shouted, slightly regretting ever coming back here, but the thought of Charlotte being in peril is what stopped me from bailing on the situation.