Chapter 11: The change

"Hey dude, check it out!"

"Woah, is that-"

"No way man, they went extinct decades ago"

"What else could it be moron?"

"Dead?"

"Yeah I think you're right. Try and poke it"

"Ew no, what if it's just sleeping?"

"Then we kill it ourselves and bring it back for big money. Here, take this stick and poke it"

Footsteps echoed closer. Am I just hearing these voices? A sharp object pocked the side of my rib. My eyes fluttered open to see two silhouettes standing in front of a pair of bright headlights. The smaller man poked me again. "Hey! Do you mind?" I groaned, slowly picking myself up from the ground.

"Crap it's alive!" The smaller man said. He backed away.

"Grab the guns idiot" The taller man shoved the other one towards the car door.

"Can you tell me where I am?" I asked, I swear I wasn't this short standing. I stepped towards the taller man.

He stumbled back. "Hurry, kill the wolf John!" His voice shaken. The wolf? Was he talking about me?

"How rude, you don't call people names" I said. A click came from the car door. A sudden sixth sense forced my legs to push me out of the way. A gun fire echoed, ringing in my ears. The man aimed the gun at me again and I sprinted into the woods. The bullet piercing the tree inches from me.

"It's getting away!" Their voices became further as I ran deeper into the forest.

I was almost shot. I could have died right then and there. Everything felt weird, like I was in a stranger's body. A clueless dream turned into a nightmare. Those two men kept calling me an it, a wolf. They wouldn't have tried to shoot me if I as me. They couldn't sell a human corpse unless... My head smashed into another moving object, throwing me to the ground.

I shook off the dirt from the ground and looked up to meet black eyes. The night shadows from the trees made it hard for me to see the creature. A snarl escaped its mouth, its black fur coat arched. A sudden familiar voice growled in my thoughts and it wasn't mine. "Who are you?"

"Can you tell me where I am?" I asked.

"I said, who are you?" He growled louder.

"I woke up on the side of the road, two men tried to kill me" I said.

"That is not my problem. You don't belong here, you must be from the south coast" he said.

"South coast? No, I live in the town Mattawa" I said.

"Bull, there are only five creatures who protect Mattawa and you're not one of them. You were sent here weren't you?" he demanded. He suddenly triggered a memory.

"That's right! The five creatures.... I know them!"

"Lies, you know the treaty. Your people stay on your side and mine stay here. Get out before I kill you myself" He scowled.

"Please don't! I-" He lunged at me. I backed into a tree. Another figure jumped in front of me, pushing the black creature back.

"What the heck are you doing? She is an enemy!" he snapped. The moonlight peaked through the trees to reveal a black wolf.

"She is Rose" The brown wolf said calmly. The black wolf stepped back.

"Wait, Louis? Zayn?" I could see those eyes. Louis turned around, wagging his tail.