Chapter 21: Once In A Lifetime

I stood in front of my bathroom mirror, looking into the eyes of a stranger.

They're your battle scar and that's what makes you beautiful.

Niall's voice played in my head, each time sending butterflies in my stomach. I was in love and this time I admit it. He had been by my side since day one. One day, I decided. One day I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

I let my wet hair dry into its natural curls as I applies layers upon layers of foundation. I was trying to hide the lines on my cheeks, the dark circles around my eyes. After applying eye liner and mascara, I realized I was going to have to live with the way I look for the first couple of months.

Zayn had decided to make reservations at a fancy restaurant for the lads, Michael, and I. When I stumbled out of the bathroom, something on my bed caught my eye. My jaw dropped when my eyes payed upon a gorgeous black dress that spread across my bed.

There was a note attached to the dress. I picked it up.

When I saw this dress, I thought of your mother. She would be proud of you. I am too. Love, Michael.

I smiled to myself as I slipped the god like dress on. When I stood I front of the long mirror next to my bed, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach flutter. The way it draped over my hips like an elegant waterfall. I spun around a couple times, gawking at how beautiful the dress looked.

The door bell rang as I quickly gathered my black flats. I'd wear heels but I could barely balance myself on flat ground. I was able to walk without the crutches but I had to place my hand on the walls for balance.
I heard two voices chatting down stairs. A smile crept on my lips before I walked out of my room and to the top of the stairs.

Niall and Michael fell silent as their eyes trailed to me. Niall's smile grew wide as I slowly stepped down the stairs. Using the railing, I was able to make it to the bottom without making a total fool out of myself. "Honey, you look-" Michael began but couldn't find the right words.

"Beautiful" Niall said as he pulled his hands out if his suit pockets. Michael, on the other hand, was in a red shirt and grey sweats. I gave him a disappointed look.

"I'm sorry honey, I really wanted to come but work has been busy lately" he apologized.

I flashed him an artificial smile. "That's okay, I understand. Work is important" After three months of being in a coma, I only got to talk to Michael for a couple of minutes. We weren't close but I wanted to give it a try.

"I promise we will do something together when you get back, anything you want" he promised.

"Will there be pizza?" I asked. Niall raised an eyebrow at me.

"Of course" he said.

"Then you got yourself a deal" I laughed before saying my goodbyes. I got into Niall's car before we drove off. There was a moment of silence. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"Ask away" he said. I looked out the window and into the starry sky.

"Have you ever thought of settling down, you know, with... someone?" I asked. I was curious if he ever thought about forgetting his old life as a wolf to live a new life as a normal person.

"It may have... crossed my mind" he said.

"What about your life as a wolf?" I asked.

Niall opened his mouth but no words escaped. He hesitated, avoiding to look at me. I watched him as a car passed us. It's light reflecting off his crystal blue eyes. "I'll still have to live with it for the rest of my life, I guess. It won't matter though" he said.