Chapter two: New Friends, New Secrets

When I arrived home, my mom and Michael already left to the restaurant. I was relieved that I didn't have to get all dressed up to go to a fancy restaurant. Fancy restaurants aren't my thing.

Midnight pizza and movie is my ideal date and I have to say, I am good company. I decided to let my mom have her date tonight and tell her in the morning. That is, I have to think of what I was going to say to her. 

Even though my date with myself was great, I had reoccurring night terrors about the accident. Everything was a blur when I tried to remember the accident but when I imagine those eyes, I am suddenly mesmerized. Those sharp blue eyes held compassion, kindness, fear, and power that only human eyes could poses.

I let the the warm water wash over my thoughts as I stand in the shower. I always took a shower when I was either making life decisions or just stressed. In this case, it was a little bit of both.

As I reach to turn off the shower head, a black mark on my left wrist catches my eye. I inspect the black mark closely to see it in the shape of a crescent and a small black star beside it. I thought it was just marker as I effortlessly scrub my skin. After a minute of scrubbing my skin, my entire wrist was red but the crescent   was perfectly stained.

I don't remember this tattoo let alone getting any tattoo. I began to freak out. What if my mom sees it? She'll flip about the tattoo and the car will bring her over the top. The doorbell echoes through out the hall as I stand in front of the mirror. I decided to cover the crescent with my gold painted watch as I dress in black leggings and a floral tank. To be extra cautious, I slip on my long sleeved blazer.

"Today is the first day of school. Let's show them who you are" I say to myself.

"Rose, come down stairs!" My mother shouts. I'm suddenly washed over with fear. Oh, no. She found out about the car.

I slowly walk down the stairs, rehearsing the best scenario that seemed almost believable. Then again, the more I go over it, the less I even believe myself. I take a deep breath before entering the living room. "I swear, I can explain" I beg.

When I enter the room, I am greeted by two strangers. "Explain what?" My mom asks with an innocent tone.

I shake my head, "Never mind, uh.."I say awkwardly.

"Oh yes, Rose, this is Mr. Horan and his son, Niall" She introduces me. "They live in the house that Mrs.Barks use to live in" she mentions. Mrs.Barks was one of my moms best friend and she use to come here during the summer. That's how she met Michael.

"Ah the beautiful Rose, I was wondering when I could meet you. Your mother tells me a lot about you" He gives my a warm smile and holds out his hand. I hesitate to shake it but my mothers death glare forces me to.

"I hope all good things" I laugh as everyone joins in. When I finish shaking Mr.Horan's hand, I turn my gaze to see a short blonde boy. When our eyes meet, I freeze. His blue eyes kept me mesmerized. Flashbacks of the accident raid my thoughts, those same blue eyes glow with every emotion. "Those eyes, I've seen them before" I say out loud.

"Pardon?" Niall asks as he rubs the back of his neck nervously.

"I'm sorry, I've mistaken you for someone else. Anyways, It was nice meeting you both but I must get going" I said quickly.

"Here, take the car" my mom hands me the keys leaving me either to tell her or drive the smashed car to school.

"No, its fine. I'll walk today" I make up an excuse.

"Why? Whats wrong with the car?" She said suspiciously. Before I can get a word out, she opens the curtains and looks out the window. "Rose Anne Cliffe, What on earth happened to the car?!" Mom raised her voice. I wince at her shout. Mr.Horan and Niall look outside the window to see the smashed wind shield and dented hood.