Chapter 7

Emma's POV:

"Okay, Asha, let's go see your mom now." The little girl didn't say anything. She just followed behind me. I wanted to open up and see if she was just shy or if something was going on with her, but I couldn't do it. I just couldn't, especially in this place.

As we got closer to what I will always refer to as the bubble, I could see Melissa come into view. I stopped close to it, and Asha ran into me. She looked up at me like she was terrified. I gave her a small smile showing I wasn't mad at all. That's when she started taking in her surroundings and saw her mom standing there. She frantically rushed the rest of the way over to the bubble.

"Mommy!" She had her hands up against the bubble. "Mommy! Why are you in there?" I could hear the fear and confusion in her voice. She seemed to be studying her mom a bit more, and that's when I saw her head look to where her mom's arm was. I knew at that moment she saw the dark veins leading all the way up her arm till they disappeared under her sleeve. That's when she pulled back a bit, and I saw her shaking her head. "No. No, mommy, you can't be sick."

"Hey there, my little bumblebee. I missed you so much." I could hear Melissa's voice wavering. Trying so hard not to lose herself to her emotions.

"I missed you too, mommy. Mommy, you're sick with that virus you told me about, aren't you?" I see Melissa nod her head with a solemn look on her face.

"Yeah, Bee, I am." I could hear sniffling coming from Asha.

"But mommy, that means-" She stopped talking, and I saw her shoulders shaking. She was crying so hard that it kept her from being able to say anything else.

"I know. Bee, I'm so sorry." I could hear the pain in Melissa's voice from seeing her child breaking down. I couldn't imagine seeing my child crying and extremely sad and not being able to comfort them.

"Mommy. I don't want you to go. I don't want to lose you like daddy." My heart clenched at what she just said. Not only has she lost her father, but she's also going to be losing her mom too. I looked at Lance, and I could tell this was getting to him as well.

"I know, Bee, I know. I wish I didn't have to leave you. It's the last thing I ever wanted to do. I am so sorry. Please forgive me." Melissa had collapsed to the ground, and this made Asha drop to the ground crying harder.

"Someone help her!" She looked back at me, and her eyes were bloodshot and swollen. "Help her. Help my mommy, please. You've got to save her." Her cries for help, pleading me to help save her mom, almost knocked me on my ass. I lost all the air in my lungs. I made my way over to where she was on the floor and sat down next to her.

"We are doing everything we can to save your mommy, Asha. I promise." She didn't look at me but just looked up at her mom.

"You're not going to make it till they have found something that will save you, are you?" Asha sounded absolutely defeated. Melissa looked at me; she was in complete turmoil.

"I'm going to fight for as long as I can, okay?" I saw Melissa's lips quiver, trying to hold in her sobs. Asha put her hand up to the bubble, and Melissa put hers in the same place.

"It's okay, mommy. It's okay if you have to go. I know if you could, you wouldn't leave me. You have nothing to be sorry about, and you've done nothing wrong to where you need to ask for forgiveness." Melissa used her other hand to smother a sob but failed miserably.

"Mommy." Melissa looked back up at Asha. "It's okay. I don't want you to suffer. It's okay if you have to go. I love you." Melissa's face contorted a little bit, showing that she was fighting back crying hysterically.