Chapter 18

Emma's POV:

I look over and see my family sound asleep. They all looked peaceful, especially the kids. I hadn't seen them this at peace while sleeping in a long time. They usually still wake up in a panic, but instead of not being able to go back asleep, they just cuddle up closer to Mila and me and fall right back asleep. Looking over at all three of them now, I wish I was sleeping peacefully. For some reason, especially recently, sleep seems to be a stranger to me. Most nights recently have consisted of me faking sleep till the others are officially asleep, then I lay there staring at the ceiling.

I think it mostly has to do with stress. Work is definitely my biggest stressor right now. Tomorrow, well, I guess it's actually today now.... So, later on today, the council will be giving their final decision on whether or not the portal to Alium will officially be closed or not. I would understand if they decided to close them, but I'm really hoping they don't. Because I know if they do this, the chaos it is now with the hysterics from people will only be exacerbated.

I'm also worried about Elisia and Chloe. Especially now that I found out they are both pregnant. This virus is so contagious and deadly; I'm scared that they may become infected. The scientists/doctors we hired have a theory that this virus was actually man-made. If that turns out to be true, dear lord, things will turn ugly. Mass hysterics time a million. Then there will be a manhunt to find out who did it. How would we even find a bioterrorist?

In a way, if we are dealing with a man-made virus, that most likely means there is a cure to it. However, we would have to find the person who created it first, and that's only half the battle. Then we have to get the information for the cure out of them. My head is reeling right now. There are so many what-ifs in the balance right now. I just wish we had concrete answers and information. But no, just theories, unanswered questions, and what-ifs; swirling around my mind, making me absolutely restless. Making me feel like I am completely losing my mind.

I look over to the clock and exhale deeply. It's already five in the morning now. I didn't even realize a whole hour had already passed since I last looked at the clock. I thought I was only ruminating in my thoughts for a few minutes. It's pretty much time to get up anyway, so at least now I don't have to pretend to wake up when the kids go to wake us up. I'm just going to shower and get ready for the day early.

I hurried to get myself ready and was completely done about twenty minutes before six in the morning. That's usually when the kids will get up on school days. Even though they don't have to be at school till eight in the morning. I'm just going to make my way downstairs.

"Oh, hey. I didn't think anyone else would be up right now." I was surprised to find Mila's mom already up and cooking breakfast.

"You know how the twins are; they'll be up soon. I couldn't sleep much last night, so I decided to get an early jump on my day." I sat down at the island, and she handed me a cup of blood. She did this so casually too. She took the whole supernatural shit super well, to be honest. When Mila told her, I thought she would freak out, but no, she was completely calm.

"Thanks. I haven't been sleeping well either. Work seems to be keeping me up a lot at night. What's keeping you up at night?" Anita paused for a moment and took a deep breath.

"I don't know. Call it mother's intuition, but something isn't right. I can't place my finger on it yet, but I feel something bad is lurking around the corner. I don't like feeling like this. It keeps me up at night, thinking up a million scenarios as to what it may be. And with my overactive imagination, it's always graphic and nothing ever good." I understand what she is feeling completely.

"Honestly, I think I feel it too. With everything going on at work especially. The council is finalizing a huge decision today, that depending on what they decide, can cause the mass hysteria we are already experiencing to increase significantly." I was slouched forward at this point. I always seem to carry all my stress in my neck and shoulders.