Chapter 8

Mila's POV:

The whole way home, all I wanted to do is curl up into a ball and cry till I finally fell asleep due to exhaustion. I kept thinking about my mom, and I had this gut-wrenching feeling that I needed to call her soon and see her. Shit! I forgot to call Chloe today. I was so distracted today I completely forgot. I outwardly sighed; Hopefully, I remember to do it tomorrow. It might be a good idea. That way, I would have distractions from my deteriorating mental health.

I don't know exactly what had happened down there in the lab when she saw her mom, but what I do know is that it caused Asha to be in extreme anguish. I glanced in the rearview mirror at Asha to find her staring into the distance. I can feel a glimpse of what she's feeling, and she should never have to suffer like this so young.

"Alright, kids, we're here. As soon as you get inside, start on your homework and then go get washed up for dinner." They started getting out of the car, and I saw Alyx help Asha out. I could see how concerned Alyx was for her. I'm so glad I raised such caring kids.

We made our way in, and I immediately went to the kitchen to start dinner. I saw all the kids working together on their homework. Asha was nice enough to catch them up to speed with everything she's learned so far. Aleksey seemed to be very interested in what she was talking about. This gave me hope that he would enjoy school more. Have I mentioned how unique my kids are yet? They always wake up early full of energy, always cleaning up after themselves, and somehow absolutely love school. They are definitely grade A philomaths.

As the pasta was boiling, I finished the cheesecake and stuck it in the fridge, so it was cool enough for dessert time. The kids had agreed on wanting spaghetti tonight. Apparently, it was Asha's family meal that her mom cooked. After she mentioned this, she seemed to become depressed again and kept more to herself.

As I was adding the sauce and mushrooms to the meat, the kids made their way upstairs. Emma still wasn't home, and she left the parking lot a little bit before me. I'm kind of worried as to where she may be. And just like that, my worries were eliminated as I heard the front door open. I could tell just by the footsteps it was her. When she walked into the kitchen, she immediately came to me and hugged me. I embraced her wholeheartedly.

"We have a lot to discuss tonight. We will talk about everything tonight in the Dissension room. I don't anticipate us getting into a fight of any sorts; I just don't want the kids to hear anything." I nodded.

"That's a good idea. I'm glad you're going to talk to me, even if it's only a little bit." I gave her a loving kiss, then leaned my head against hers. I took a deep calming breath in. I needed to be close to her, especially now more than ever. We needed to stay close to each other. I pulled back. "Go on and get cleaned up really quick. Dinner is ready." We exchanged smiles before she made her way upstairs.

I had just finished putting everyone's plates, already full of spaghetti, down at the table when everyone walked in. I made sure not to put too much on Asha's or my plate. I think she realized this as she looked at me with a thankful expression.

"Okay, how was everyone's day?" I looked towards Aleksey, signaling for him to start us off.

"It was good, momma. I'm excited for tomorrow to start second grade. It was also enjoyable to see the new fish at mommy's work today." I smiled at this. Usually, his answers to how his day was were short. I then looked at Alyx.

"Same as what Aleksey said. I'm also glad I got a new friend today." She turned to Asha with a big smile. Asha smiled back at her, and it seemed to be pretty genuine.

"Asha, do you want to share how your day was?" She kind of shrunk back in her seat. "You don't have to, sweetie. Don't feel pressured at all." I saw Alyx reach and grab Asha's hand, giving her a heartbeat squeeze as reassurance. Aleksey even gave her a nod.