Chapter 22

Emma's POV:

"No, no, no, no, no! Damn it, Mila, wake up!" I was on the ground holding Mila to my chest.

"Someone check out my daughter, and please help my wife!" I cried out. I stood up with Mila in my arms and took Mila to an empty bed. Doctors started swarming around her. I got pushed to the back of the crowd as they all worked to keep her alive. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her till I heard a small voice.

"Mommy?" I looked back and saw Alyx looking at me with tears in her eyes. I flickered my gaze back at Mila before I made my way over to Alyx. I sat down on her bed, and she climbed on my lap, snuggling into me.

"This is what I didn't want to happen, mommy!" Alyx cried out. "It's all my fault." She was now sobbing.

"It's not your fault, sweetie." I tried to pull her close, but she pushed back and shook her head no.

"It is. This is the nightmare Aleksey and I was having. This exact moment." She wiggled out of my grip and ran over to where Mila was.

"Please don't do this!" She screamed out. Just like she screamed out that one night when she was having the nightmare. "Momma, please. Please don't leave us. Don't do it." The beeping on the machine was just one singular tone. "No! Please don't do this." Alyx was slumped to the floor, now crying. "Please don't give up, Momma." She kept pleading. We all froze when The sound of beeping started up again on the machine.

"We've got a rhythm." One of the doctors said out happily. I closed the distance and picked Alyx up off the floor.

"Come on, sweetie, we need to get you checked out." She tried to wiggle her way out of my hold again, but I made sure she didn't this time around.

"I don't want to leave her, mommy. Don't make me." She now had her arms crossed and was pouting.

"I don't want to leave her either. She's still fighting, and she's still alive." I sighed as I looked over to Mila. She was the one who looked pale and lifeless now. "You know she would want you to get checked out." She looked over at Mila and didn't take her eyes off of her.

"Fine." She huffed out, then turned back to me with a smile. "If I do this, then I'll be a good girl for momma, and if I'm a good girl, then she'll keep fighting." I broke when she said this. I didn't show it, but I was. I didn't think I could shatter into any more pieces, but somehow I did. The pieces of me that had shattered were now shattered themselves: nothing but pulverized dust.

"You don't have to be a good girl for momma to keep fighting, okay? She's going to fight as much as she can to come back to us." Her smile went away from her face, and the sadness washed over it again.

She didn't fight me anymore as we walked further from Mila's bed. She didn't say a word to the doctors when they asked her questions; she just simply nodded her head yes, or shook her head no. She didn't even react when the doctors drew her blood. She must take after me in that way. In situations like this, I tend to close off and become silent. But don't mistake my silence as me being docile; I'm anything but that. I'm just trying to hold back on taking my pain and rage out on someone. My silence doesn't mean I'm friendly; in fact, it's when I am more deadly.

"Well, all her tests came back, and she's perfectly healthy. It's like her body never had the virus in the first place. You both can head out towards the lab now. We have already moved her to the bed by the plexiglass wall." I mumbled out a thank you as I picked up Alyx and walked us both back towards the lab.

When we got to the chairs, I let Alyx down to reunite with her brother and her Mimi. I just stood there staring at Mila. I wanted to just lay next to her so badly. I wanted to hold her, and I wanted to be able to lay my head on her chest and hear her heart beating. I wanted to feel the warmth of her embrace, and I wanted to feel her breathing on me. I wanted to feel her skin on mine. I would give my life to be next to her right now.