Chapter 17

"Alright, so Julia and Asha are coming over for dinner tonight." I was helping my mom prepare for dinner before I left to go pick up the kids.

"After everything you've said about Julia, I can't wait to meet her finally. I'm excited to see Asha again." I smiled to myself at this. My mom already looks at Asha as another grandchild.

"Julia is looking forward to meeting you too. Asha has already mentioned she's excited to see you again." I took a brief pause. "Also, mom, thank you for staying with us. Having you around has been a huge help." My mom stopped in the middle of mincing her vegetables and gave me this look of love laced with something else.

"Of course, Mija. There is no reason to thank me, though. I'm always going to be here to help. I'd drop anything to be here for you all." I kissed her on the cheek.

"Still, thank you. With you being here, I think it has put the kids at ease a little more. They still have to sleep with Emma and me, but their nightmares aren't as bad." She hummed at this.

"Yeah, I've noticed that you all seem better rested than how you all were when I first got here. All of your eyes aren't as bloodshot. Kids don't look like they've been up all night crying. I may stay for a little bit longer. If that's okay with you?" I felt relief wash over me immediately. I wanted to ask her but felt bad doing so. So, I'm glad she offered herself.

"If it's not too much for you." She hummed at my response.

"Not too much at all. That's why I'm offering to stay longer. I think it will benefit you all. Plus, I get to spend more time with all of you. It's hard to synchronize our schedules to be able to see each other." I nodded at this.

"Yeah, it can be very difficult. I'm glad you're staying longer, and I'm sure everyone else will feel the same way." I say it all the time, but I am fortunate to have a mom like the one I have.

"Shit, I need to go get the kids." I got so caught up in talking to my mom I didn't realize what time it was.

"Language." My mom chided me.

"Sorry. I love you; I'll see you in a bit." I kissed her cheek and headed out to my car.

The drive to pick up the kids was like any other. I, as usual, was so caught up in my thoughts that when I arrive at the school, I don't remember the drive there. Going into auto-drive mode honestly seems a little dangerous, but it happens to me a lot. I always wonder if it happens to others a lot too.

"Hey, momma!" I was brought out of my thoughts by my kids and Asha sliding into the backseat.

"Hey there, my little bears. How was school?" I looked up at the rearview mirror smiling at them.

"It was good. I learned a new word today." This piqued my interest.

"And what word is that?" Alyx just kind of giggled.

"Ambidextrous. Isn't that a funny word? I learned it today because my teacher pointed out that I am ambidextrous." I chuckled a little bit along with her.

"It kind of is a funny-sounding word. I could have told you that you were ambidextrous. You and Aleksey both have always been very coordinated with both sides of your body." Alyx had her thinking face on.

"Well, I just now learned the word for it. Which I think might be one of my favorite words." My daughter is so adorable. Having favorite words and shit.

The rest of the drive home, I did my best not to drift into auto-drive mode. I did a really successful job of it, too, if I do say so myself. I made sure to stay present the whole time. Did this take a lot of self-discipline? Yes. Do I feel exhausted now from driving? Yes. Will I be drinking extra blood at dinner? Again, yes. Will I possibly lose my mind if I hear the Baby Shark song again? Most definitely. Please, someone, anyone, get me out of this car.