Chapter 27

Mila's POV:

Watching Emma go was hard. My heartfelt incomplete and broken. Whenever she wasn't with me, I always felt like something was missing from me, a vital piece of me that I needed. Everything is amplified now more than ever. Every moment with everyone I love is now more precious than they ever were before. Every moment is precious, don't get me wrong, but when you're staring death in the face, those last moments are more significant because, at any time, they could be the last ones.

Lately, I feel like I'm not spending enough time with everyone. When I look down at my arm and stomach, I notice the infection has grown further up toward my heart; all I see is my time running out. I could almost hear the clock ticking down. I can feel the virus growing stronger every second, minute, hour, and day. I was now starting to feel worse, it isn't fully unbearable just yet, but I know it will be here soon. It's pounding on the front door, trying to break its way in and rob me of my life.

"Alright, Mrs. Ambrogio, it's that time of day again." I sighed and stuck out my arm.

"Nina, how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Mila. I deserve to be called by my first name; I mean, I am your favorite science experiment." Nina laughed a little at my "joke." It really wasn't a joke, though. Between the amount of blood they take from me and the amount of tests they perform on me in a day is ridiculous.

"You're not a science experiment... Mila." I huffed but ultimately smiled when she called me by my first name. Nina was one of the main doctors in the trio that Emma had hired. She was the one working on the cure for cancer.

"It sure feels like it sometimes. I like when you are the one who does them, though. I can never joke around with the other two. They are way too serious." She gave a light laugh.

"Yeah, they are kind of tight asses, but they are damn good at their job. All three of us together have made a lot more progress than just one person could have." She sighed out sadly. "I'm sorry you're going through this." She picked up my arm to inspect it and then went to grab my shirt. She looked up at me. "May I?" I nodded my head. I like that she always asked for permission. She was a very caring and all-around phenomenal doctor.

"The infection has definitely progressed further up toward your heart. How are you feeling?" You could see the concern written all over her face.

"I can feel the symptoms growing stronger, but it isn't anything I can't handle." She gave me a look like she didn't fully believe me. Then, she put my shirt back down.

"Just let me know when that changes, okay?" I looked at her and gave her a wink.

"You mean IF it changes?" I emphasized the if and tried to joke, but she wasn't buying it.

"When," she said with finality. "The way the infection is progressing, I will say in another two to three days, the point of the symptoms becoming unbearable will start to set in." I sighed. All I wanted to do is just keep the mood light. I didn't want everything to be doom and gloom, and I was so tired of it. All I hear is bad news this and bad news that. I was honestly tired of everyone being so serious all the time.

"Of course, Nina. I will let you know." She put her hand on my shoulder. "I'm going to do everything I can to save your life." She squeezed my shoulder and gave me a sad smile before she made her way to leave the room.

I was tired of everyone looking at me sad or forcing themselves to look happy around me. I can see through it just as easily as it is to look through a window. I'm not dumb; I'm not oblivious. I can see their true emotions; I can see that they are breaking every single time they see me. I hate that when the people I love the most look at me, and instead of lighting up with a genuine smile, it is a forced one with pure sadness behind it. The only ones who are the closest to giving me a genuine smile and showing genuine happiness around me are the kids. Emma tries, but she still isn't as good at it as the kids.