Hungerford Massacre

Michael Robert Ryan, born 18th May 1960, was born at Savernake Hospital in Marlborough, Wiltshire. Michael's father, Alfred Henry Ryan, was 55 years old when Michael was born. Alfred died in May 1985 at the age of 80 from cancer. Michael's mother, Dorothy, was 20 years younger than Alfred. In April 1987, Michael began employment as a labourer working on footpaths and fences near the River Thames, approximately 20 miles from Hungerford. He left the job in July, and returned to claiming unemployment benefits. 

Michael was issued a shotgun certificate in 2nd February 1978, and on 11th December 1986 he was granted a firearms certificate covering the ownership of 2 pistols. The licence only permitted Michael to use the weapons at approved ranges; his application stated that he would use them at a target shooting facility in Abingdon and he was a member of a rifle club in Devizes. He later applied to have the certificate amended to cover a 3rd pistol, as he intended to sell 1 of the 2 he had acquired since the granting of the certificate and to buy 2 more. This was approved on 30th April 1987. On 14th July, he applied for another variation, to cover 2 semi-automatic rifles, which was approved on 30th July. At the time of the massacre, he was licensed to possess 8 firearms, which he purchased between 17th December 1986 and 8th August 1987:

- Beretta 9mm pistol

- Zabala shotgun

- Browning shotgun

- Bernadelli .22 pistol

- CZ ORSO self-loading .32 ACP pistol

- Norinco Type 56 7.62x39mm semi-automatic rifle

- Underwood Carbine .30 rifle

Michael used the Beretta pistol, the Norinco, and the Carbine in the massacre. The CZ pistol was being repaired by a dealer at the time, and he had sold the Bernadelli shortly before the shootings. The Norinco was purchased from firearms dealer Mick Ranger.

The first shooting occurred in Savernake Forest, 7 miles to the west of Hungerford. At 12:30, 35 year old Susan Godfrey and her 2 pre-school children had come to the area from Burghfield Common near Reading for a family picnic. Michael, openly armed, approached the family and Susan placed the children in her car. After abducting her at gunpoint, Michael walked Susan 75-100 yards into the forest. He had placed down a groundsheet; a police report identified the possibility that Michael may have intended to rape Susan. Susan's body was found approximately 10 yards from the groundsheet; she had sustained 13 bullet wounds to her back and there was no evidence of sexual assault. Susan's children were found by a woman walking in the woods. 

Michael left the forest and drove east on the A4, stopping to fill both his car and a petrol can at the Golden Arrow petrol station in Froxfield. After another customer at the station left, Michael shot at the cashier from the forecourt. He entered the store and attempted to shoot her at point-blank range; this failed when his gun apparently jammed. He left the petrol station and the cashier telephoned 999; this call had been preceded by another emergency call, possibly by a member of the public who believed they saw an armed robbery at the petrol station. Thames Valley Police sent 3 patrol cars along the A4 to investigate. 

After leaving Froxfield, Michael returned to his home on South View, Hungerford. Arriving there shortly after 12:45, he was seen by neighbours who described him as looking upset. Soon after entering his house, 1 of the witnesses heard gunshots, Michael had shot the 2 family dogs. He exited the house with equipment such as ammunition, survival equipment, and a flak jacket. He failed to start his car, and instead returned to the house and set the living room alight using the petrol he purchased from Froxfield; the resultant fire destroyed the house and 3 adjacent properties. Leaving the house, he headed east on South View towards school playing fields. En route he shot and killed 2 of his neighbours, Roland and Sheila Mason. 14 year old Lisa Mildenhall, who also lived nearby, heard the noise and went to see what it was, Michael shot her 4 times in the legs. She sought first aid from her mother and another nearby resident and survived. Michael was chastised by 77 year old Dorothy Smith for "scaring everybody to death" for making noise, although he did not shoot her. Michael then shot Margery Jackson, 1 of the people who had seen him arrive home. She telephoned her friend George White for help, and asked him to collect her husband Ivor from work in Newbury.