Holly Piirainen

Holly Kristen Piirainen was born 19th January 1983. Holly and her brother had been visiting their grandparents in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. 

Holly and her brother had gone to a neighbour's house to  see puppies. Her brother had returned to the cottage where the grandparents lived, but Holly did not. One of Holly's shoes was found by the side of a road.

Searching for Holly took two months. On 23rd October, 1993, Holly's remains were found by hunters in Brimfield, Massachusetts. The killer still has not been found.

On 3rd January, 2012, Hampden County Attorney Mark Mastroianni announced that forensic evidence found near Holly's body had been linked to David Pouliot, a suspect who died in 2003. Investigators has not disclosed the nature of the forensic evidence, nor the type of testing that linked David to the evidence. Investigators said that, although David is a person of interest in the crime, as of January 2012 he has not yet formally been named a suspect. David frequently hunted and fished around the area where Holly's body was found.

Fellow Massachusetts resident Molly Bish was murdered 7 years later. Her body was also found in a wooded area in Worcester County. Police considered the possibility that the two cases could be related. David is considered a person of interest in both cases. It was discovered that Molly had written a letter to Holly Piirainen's family following Holly's disappearance. This is an excerpt from Molly Bish's letter:

I am very sorry. I wish I could make it up to you. Holly is a very pretty girl. She is almost as tall as me. I wish I knew Holly. I hope they found her. - Molly Bish at age 10.