Gemma McCluskie

Gemma Rose Veronica McCluskie was born on 5th February 1983. Gemma was a British television actress. Her most notable role was in the BBC soap opera EastEnders, in which she played Kerry Skinner. 

Gemma went missing from her East London flat, where she lived with her brother Tony, on 1st March 2012. She was seen at home with her brother that afternoon, and a subsequent investigation found that she had entered a kebab shop around 8pm. 

A search party of 100 people was organised by Gemma's cousins on 5th March, which spread out from the east and south of London, attempting to discover information related to Gemma's disappearance. 

The headless torso of a woman was recovered from Regent's Canal in Hackney on 6th March. On 9th March, the police announced that the body had been formally identified as Gemma. On 10th March, a 35 year old male (later identified as her brother, Tony McCluskie) was charged with her murder. He appeared at Thames Magistrates' Court on Monday, 12th March and a preliminary hearing was set for 26th March at the Old Bailey. 

On 10th September, police found a head in the same stretch of canal. The Metropolitan Police confirmed the head was Gemma's two days later.

Gemma McCluskie's funeral was held on 30th November at St Monica's Roman Catholic Church, Hoxton Square, East London.

The trial began on 14th January 2013 at the Old Bailey. During the trial, it was reported that Tony McCluskie was a heavy cannabis user and that the siblings frequently argued. On 1st March 2012, he allegedly argued with his sister about an overflowing bath. She told him to leave, and he then grabbed her by the wrist and punched her to the floor, but claimed he had no further recollection of his actions. Her death was caused by several blows to the head with a blunt instrument. He spent several hours dismembering her body. CCTV footage showed Tony carrying a suitcase the next day; the suitcase contained her remains, which Tony disposed of in Regent's Canal. Tony initially admitted manslaughter, but denied murder, citing a "loss of control". He was found guilty of her murder on 30th January 2013 and jailed for life with a minimum sentence of 20 years.