Sophie Lancaster

Sophie Lancaster was born 26th November 1986. She was a former pupil at Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School and Haslingden High School, and a gap year student planning to attend Accrington and Rossendale College to do an English degree. She had been dating Robert Maltby, a 21 year old art student from Manchester, for 3 years, and they both had a long standing attachment to the goth subculture. The couple's family described them as "Goths", and said: "They're both intelligent, sensitive kids. They're not the sort of people to get in trouble, but they have had problems in the past because they stand out".

While returning home, Sophie and Robert were subjected to a "vicious mob attack" from "a large group of people" between 01:10 and 01:20 am on 11th August 2007, at the skate park area of Stubbylee Park, Bacup. The couple were walking home and came across a gang on teenagers at the entrance to the park. The group followed them and assaulted Robert, knocking him unconscious, and then Sophie, who was shielding her boyfriend. A 15 year old witness told police: "They were running over and just kicking her in the head and jumping up and down on her head". One witness used a mobile phone to call for emergency services saying: "We need...we need an ambulance at Bacup Park, this Mosher has just been banged because he's a Mosher". Witnesses said that afterwards, "The killers celebrated their attack on the goths - or "moshers" - by telling friends afterwards that they had "done summat good," and claiming: "There's 2 moshers nearly dead up Bacup Park - you wanna see them - they're a right mess".

Police said that it was "a sustained attack during the course of which the pair received serious head injuries and their faces were so swollen we could not ascertain which one was female and which one was male". Both were hospitalised as a result of the attack, initially at Rochdale Infirmary. Robert's injuries left him in a coma and with internal bleeding. He gradually recovered, but had lost memory of the time leading up to, and during, the attack. Sophie, in a deep coma, was placed on life support and moved to Fairfield General Hospital in Bury, then to the neurology unit at Hope Hospital in Salford. The hospital staff determined that she would never regain consciousness, and on 24th August 2007 her life support was terminated. 

Lancashire Police arrested 5 individuals in connection with the attack, but conducted extensive further investigations, as it appeared that up to 15 people were in the area and may have witnessed or participated in the assault. The police identified the gothic dress of the couple as a possible motivation for the attack. A 15 year old and a 16 year old were remanded in custody, while two 15 year olds and a 17 year old were released on bail. They were originally charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, but following Sophie's death the Crown Prosecution Service charged all 5 boys with her murder. 

By 5th October 2007, after questioning over 100 people, the police concluded that they were not expecting to make any more arrests in the case, and although 15-20 people were in the park at some point during the night of the attack, they believed that many were not directly involved, as the area was a regular night time hangout spot for teenagers. 

Local residents identified the park as a spot often used by, "drunken, violent yobs" guilty of vandalism and under age drinking. They had asked for measures to be taken about the area before the tragedy occurred. Following the murder, residents called for improved security in the area, but Rossendale Borough Council said park rangers would be too expensive. 

On 6th September 2007, the 5 suspects were charged with murder at Burnley Youth Court. 3 were released on bail: 2 boys aged 15 and 17 from Shawforth, and a 17 year old boy from Bacup. On 18th October at Burnley Youth Court, all 5 were summoned to appear at Preston Crown Court. A preliminary hearing was held on 31st October 2007, where all 5 were charged with the murder of Sophie and grievous bodily harm with intent for the assault on Robert. A further plea and case management hearing was ordered by Judge Anthony Russell QC for 14th December. The judge also indicated a provisional trial date, on both allegations, of 10th March 2008. At the hearing on 14th December 2007, the 5 accused pleaded not guilty on both charges. 

At the beginning of the trial on 10th March 2008,  all 5 boys pleaded guilty to the charge of grievous bodily harm with intent, Ryan Herbert pleaded guilty to murder, Brendan Harris pleaded not guilty to murder, while the murder charges against the other 3 were dropped. As the trial opened the prosecution told the hearing: "Sophie and Robert were singled out not for anything they had said or done, but because they looked and dressed differently". The jury heard extensive descriptions of the severity of the attack from a number of witnesses and through a recorded phone conversation taken at the time.

At the conclusion of the trial on 27th March 2008, Brendan Harris was found guilty of murder, and the judge allowed the names of both Ryan and Brendan, which had been concealed during the trial, to be made public. Detective Superintendent Mick Gradwell of Lancashire Police said it was one of the most violent murders he had come across in his career: "I do not think Ryan and Brendan have recognised how violent the attack was. They have just done it without thinking, but they seemed to have enjoyed it, and carried on remorselessly kicking at two very defenceless people who were unable to protect themselves because of the level of violence inflicted upon them... I am very critical of some of the parents involved. I really don't think they have taken completely seriously how repulsive this incident was...". He said when Brendan was initially interviewed about the assaults he was "laughing and joking" with his mother. 

Sentencing in the case was set for 28th April 2008. Both Brendan and Ryan were sentenced to life imprisonment with the trial judge recommending that Brendan should serve at least 18 years and Ryan at least 16 years and 3 months. In his closing remarks the judge described the attack as "feral thuggery" which raised questions about the "sort of society which exists in this country". He added: "This was a terrible case which has shocked and outraged all who have heard about it. At least wild animals, when they hunt in packs, have a legitimate reason for so doing, to obtain food. You have none and your behaviour on that night degrades humanity itself".

The 3 other defendants were also sentenced for their role in the attack. Brothers Joseph and Danny Hulme, and Daniel Mallett, who had all earlier pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent on Robert, were jailed. Daniel was sentenced to 4 years and 4 months, and the Hulme brothers for 5 years and 10 months each. On 13th June 2008, it was reported that all the defendants were appealing against the sentences for their convictions. The appeal was heard on 7th October 2008 with an announcement that the result would be released at a later date. On 29th October the results of the appeal were announced. Ryan Herbert had his minimum term reduced from 16 years and 3 months to 15 years and 6 months, a reduction of 9 months after the appeal judges ruled not enough allowance had been made for his guilty plea in the initial trial. Brendan Harris and the 3 other defendants had their appeals dismissed.