The Abduction of Kamiyah Mobley

Kamiyah Teresiah Tasha Mobley was abducted from a Florida hospital on July 10th, 1998 when she was only 8 hours old.

Kamiyah Mobley was born on July 10th, 1998, to 16 year old Shanara Mobley. She was abducted 8 hours after birth by a woman impersonating a nurse, reportedly dressed in hospital attire, who entered the room, assisted and conversed with Shanara, and later walked out of the room with Kamiyah in her arms. Employees initially believed that the woman who kidnapped Kamiyah was a member of the Mobley family. Shanara was interviewed later, pleading for the return of her daughter.

The abductor was believed to be between 25 and 35 years old and possibly wore a pair of glasses and a wig. She was dressed in a floral blue smock and green scrub pants. It is known that Gloria Williams, about 33 at the time, later forged documents to create a new identity for Kamiyah. Gloria was in an abusive relationship and had just miscarried a child a week before, which is believed to be her motive for the abduction.

Because there were no photographs taken of Kamiyah before her abduction, a computer-generated composite of her was created to distribute to the media. Distinctive features, such as Mongolian spots and an umbilical hernia, were included in reports. After a series of tips, Kamiyah was swabbed, and a DNA sample taken from Kamiyah after she was born was matched to a swab taken from the potential match.

After the match was confirmed, Kamiyah was described as "in good health but overwhelmed". She had been living in South Carolina under the name Alexis Manigo and had since graduated from Colleton County High School and had a boyfriend. She had been raised alongside Gloria Williams' two other children. Kamiyah connected with her father and grandmother over Facetime and planned to reunite with other biological family members in person. She had never met her biological father, as he was incarcerated at the time of her birth for drug possession and delivery and because he was 19 while Shanara was 15 at the time of Kamiyah's conception.

The news of the kidnapping and her being found made national headlines in 2017.

Gloria was arrested in South Carolina and extradited to Florida, where she was charged with kidnapping and interfering with custody. She had a prior history with law enforcement, having previously been charged with check and welfare fraud. Kamiyah described Gloria was "no felon" and insisted that Gloria raised her with "everything she needed".

In February 2018, Gloria Williams pleaded guilty to kidnapping. She admitted she acted alone in the 1998 abduction.

On June 8th, 2018, Gloria Williams was sentenced to 18 years in prison for the kidnapping of Kamiyah Mobley. Kamiyah still communicates with her kidnapper, Gloria Williams, whom she still refers to as her mother. Gloria is currently serving her sentence at the Hernando Correctional Institution and is scheduled for release in 07/09/2034.

Her biological mother in Florida, Shanara Mobley, was awarded $1.5 million after settling a lawsuit against the former University Medical Centre. She has since had 3 other children.