fifth fear

"It's not real, I promise. You're safe here" Four's soothing words drifting through each dark crevice of my brain as I let out another loud sob.

"But it was real, for so long. That was my life for eighteen years and now I have to relive it when all I'm trying to do is put it behind me" I exclaimed, shaking my head as he finally retracted his arms and let me stand from the chair.

 That was my life for eighteen years and now I have to relive it when all I'm trying to do is put it behind me" I exclaimed, shaking my head as he finally retracted his arms and let me stand from the chair

"You'll never be able to put it behind you, something or someone will always remind you of them. That's just how it is. All you can do is become so strong and so self-confident that you'll never let them see that they're bothering you" he advised, wrapping his arm around my waist as I rested my head against his chest.

"When I was fourteen, I woke up one morning with a gag in my mouth, and my hands were tied. I was laying on a pile of dirt in the middle of a sunflower field, they used to be my favorite flower. Sirius had dragged me out there at the ass crack of dawn because he wanted to play another one of his sadistic games. He chased me for almost fifteen minutes straight with a hot metal pitchfork and when he caught me" I paused, rolling down the waistband of my pants. In a line were five dots that had scarred over and were only visible when the light hit them just right.

"I know that telling you I'm sorry doesn't fix anything, but, Willow I am so sorry" he sighed, shaking his head as his arms crossed his chest. He gave me a minute to wipe away all evidence of my tears before we walked out of the room together. "What about your fifth fear?" he asked.

I merely hummed in response, licking my bottom lip delicately as the image of Eric and I standing together flashed in my head. "I was hoping you'd forget about that one" I admitted.

"Don't hold out on me" he grinned, making me let out a playful scoff.

"I don't know what's going on between Eric and me. At first, I thought maybe there was something there, and then he pushed me away. Then last night, he gets jealous over me dancing with Peter and sends all the initiates to sleep early as a result of his temper tantrum. Well, actually, not all of the initiates because Peter didn't get back until almost two in the morning so god knows what Eric had him doing" I ranted.

"To be fair, you were doing a little more than just dancing with Peter" Four stated, making my eyes widen. I whacked his arm, letting out a small laugh as he smiled at me.

"Christina told me to go for it, I was just taking her advice. Well, her and the four shots of tequila" I murmured, sheepishly rubbing the back of my neck. "Hey, speaking of last night, what did he say to you? Tris wouldn't tell me but she made me haul ass back to our quarters."

"Let's just say that Eric likes to abuse his leadership powers when he's upset or jealous" Four hummed, not meeting my gaze. An uncomfortable silence fell over us for a few moments until he decided to break it.

"Do you love him?" Four asked, taking me by surprise.

"I don't know. I definitely feel something, I just don't know what. Besides, the fear I had today kind of made me want to stay away from him" I sighed.

"Explain" Four stated, our movements stopped as we reached the chasm and leaned against the railing.

"Well, you saw it! We were in his apartment, laughing and just having a nice time. He leaned in to kiss me and something just snapped, his entire demeanor was different. He slapped me, like, he raised his hand and struck me across the face. When I fell to the ground, he started yelling at me. It was degrading and I could swear I heard my father's voice at some points" I explained, scratching at the palm of my hand as I did. He was quiet for a moment, staring down at the rushing water surging through the chasm below before a small sigh left his dulled lips.

"Eric's a complicated person but, I don't think he'd ever intentionally hurt you. He might try to push you away to protect himself but his goal would never be to hurt you" Four said slowly, trying to choose each word carefully.

"What should I do?" I asked softly.

"Don't force it. Focus on the second part of initiation, focus on your relationship with your friends, and most importantly, focus on yourself. If it's meant to be, it will be" he advised, placing his hand on top of mine before giving me a small smile and walking off. I was left alone to ponder his words and as much as I hated to admit it, he was right. I needed to do something for myself instead of for everyone else.

My feet carried me forward, leaving both my brain and heart in a state of confusion as I was dragged through the compound. I ended up back in the Pit, my feet facing towards the tattoo shop but my eyes landed on an open display case of silver jewelry. When I walked inside the shop, a smile warmed my face as my fingers traced the material of the case and my eyes browsed shamelessly until they settled upon a piece of silver jewelry.

"Find something you like?" a female worker asked, coming up on my left side.

"I have two things in mind" I nodded, watching her grab the pieces of jewelry I was ogling before leading me to the back of the shop.

Every time the needle moved through my skin, I barely felt a pinch. Unfortunately, I was used to far more pain than a pathetic needle. Even the tattoos I had gotten hurt more.

Two symmetrical holes on each of my ears were now filled with silver earrings, ones that glistened every time the light caught it the right way. For my final piercing, I had gotten something called a nose ring that hugged the indents of my cartilage just right and sat gracefully upon my freckled nose. The ring was also silver in color and I loved the surge of confidence it gave me.

It looked amazing.

"Well that's a change" a friendly voice stated, snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned on my heel away from the mirror I had previously been looking in and saw Ezekiel standing behind me.

"Hey you, where have you been?" I asked softly, a smile on my face as I approached him.

"Erudite" he said shortly.

"How's Hurley?" I questioned as we walked out of the tattoo shop and through the Pit together.

"I don't know, I was there with the Eric and Max on business" he stated, my body shuddering at the mention of his name.

"Can we not talk about Eric? I asked about you and your day" I breathed out, tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear as I tried to avoid eye contact.

"Yeah, sure. Well, what did you have in mind then?" Ezekiel asked, clearly taken back by my forwardness. After a moment of thinking, a less then brilliant idea popped into my head but I was determined to make it work.

"Take me to see June" I stated.