breaking news

Shadowing Max was a delightful experience. He went through everything thoroughly; the rules of the Dauntless compound, my responsibilities, and things I should be on the lookout for. I was following him around like a lost puppy for three days before I was finally able to do solo tasks.

My arms were crossed as I stood between Maria and Four, we were supervising the monthly delivery of ammunition the Dauntless compound received. We were just there to make sure the orders were correct and everything went smoothly. After that, I bid the duo farewell and headed to the surveillance room where I got to see Drew. We made conversation while I compared the logs he gave me to my clipboard before I left.

I was snuggled up in my gigantic bed by 7:30 with a movie on my TV and my hands palming a cup of hot chocolate, with extra marshmallows, of course.

Seeing as it was my first full day in the office, I got up extra early. The decoration Eric picked out was beautiful and I couldn't wait to thank him for the thought he put behind each article. Unfortunately for me, my first assignment of the morning was to fill out a fifteen-page packet going into a deep examination of my mental health. This was required by Erudite.

Thank god I was good at lying

"Are you deaf?" a snappy voice cut through the thick silence that had laced the room.

"Ezekiel? When did you get here?" I asked, giving him a lopsided smile.

"I've knocked like three times" he paused, walking closer to the desk. "That bad, huh?" he asked, referring to the packet.

"You have no idea" I sighed.

He placed a foam cup in my hands, watching with a smile as I took a long sip of the hot liquid and practically moaned at the hazelnut flavoring.

"You are a godsend" I cheered

"Have a good day loser" he grinned, ruffling my hair before exiting my office. Leaving me alone with this dreadful packet, one that had four more blank pages practically edging me along.

I tried my best to concentrate on writing, on the words, on the spacing between the words - on absolutely anything other than letting myself get distracted.

It was just so boring.

Four answered my prayers, barging through my office door at a speed equivalent to that of someone who desperately had to pee after a six-hour car ride. "What's wrong?" I asked, completely startled.

"Get up" he demanded.

I listened, watching with a puzzled look on my face as he flopped down into the black mechanical chair and began typing furiously on the keyboard. His eyes were hungry for information and his body didn't relax until he found the news article he was looking for.

My eyes widened as I read the title.

"Cedar as in, my father?" I questioned.

"Amity's leader picks a new heir to the leadership position in loom of his retirement. Sirus Caldwell will begin his training almost immediately, hoping to make his father and the faction system proud" I mumbled aloud, my voice trailing off as I felt the world begin to spin.

This couldn't be happening.

I finally make myself comfortable, find a new home and even become a faction leader. Then, my despicable family has to arise from the sewers out of their hellish pits and ruin it for me. They have to remind me of their sinister presence.

"Willow" Four called out, pulling me out of my head. His hands reached out just in time to stop me from falling to the floor.

"Eric, thank god" Four sighed in relief. That was the first time I had ever heard Four be grateful for Eric's presence, but nonetheless, I didn't even hear him come in.

"Come here angel" Eric muttered

Four happily complied, seeming to somewhat understand that Eric needed me just as much as I needed him. "You can't let him near her" he stated.

"I would never" Eric paused, running his fingers through my hair. "Max sent me down here after Jeanine called with the news, she's getting the rest of the day off."

"I'm assuming you're taking her home?" Four asked to which Eric only nodded in response. "Alright, try to get some rest Wills" he grinned, giving me a slight pat on the back before exiting my office.

"Eric" I whispered, realization finally setting in.

"I know love" he sighed into the top of my head.

He took me back to his apartment. After the door was shut and we were out of the view of the public, not that there were many people in the corridor at this time, tears escaped me. Control of my body escaped me. I watched with a numbed expression as Eric sat me down on the toilet and turned his back, fondling the handle of the tub.

It didn't take long for the water to get to a suitable height and temperature.

"Do you need help?" he asked softly, placing his hand on my knee.

I simply shook my head but as he turned to leave, I panicked. I gripped his wrist tightly and begged him to stay. I needed him here with me. I didn't want to be alone with my thoughts right now.

Eric complied, looking away as I stripped and lowered myself into the warm bathwater. He sat comfortably on the floor outside the tub, our fingers laced as I brought my knees to my chest and stared up at the ceiling.

What the hell happens next?