edward

The glowing sun, a crisp circle in the blood-red sky had a particularly ominous feeling about it. It fell asleep, shielded behind the staggering buildings that made up Erudite, and the magnanimous posts that held the fence up guarding Amity. The last vestiges of daylight cast shadows among the clearing between the two factions, exposing a sliver of the place I once called home. The evening breeze hummed in quiet harmony, bringing with it the damp scent of the treacherous night. Birds flew past the tops of the fence, free from all grips and regulations presented by humanity.

I wish I could be that free.

"Mind if I join you?" I called out, seeing a familiar figure leaning against the ledge of the roof. Eric shook his head, not bothering to look at me as I walked forward and occupied the space next to him. The one thing I missed about Amity was the fresh air. Anytime I needed to clear my head, all I had to do was head outside where I could happily fall asleep under a great oak tree. Scents of fresh vegetation flooded my nostrils and helped keep me grounded. At Dauntless, I didn't get that luxury.

"You're doing well but, I'd watch my back if I were you" Eric spoke up, making me tear my gaze away from the fence and move it to his muscular figure.

"What do you mean?" I asked softly, playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Initiates get crazy when they're in danger of being cut

"Initiates get crazy when they're in danger of being cut. The first three initiates in your class will be offered leadership, some people would kill for that power" he informed.

"I think the boys can take care of themselves" I said, knowing that he could easily apprehend or defeat any of us. "True, but, from the looks of things you'll be in one of those rankings soon" he retorted. I understood what he was saying.  Anyone in the top ten would be offered more desirable jobs and if I wanted to rank higher, I'd have to be able to fend for myself against all attackers.

Silence fell upon us.

"So, why did you come up here?" I asked, tilting my head to the side as I stared at him.

"Got a lot on my mind" he responded, turning to meet my gaze.

"Like what?" I questioned, glancing down at the large hole in the ground that I had jumped into only a few days ago to start my journey here at Dauntless.

"Leadership stuff" he said, his voice trailing off as he turned away from me. He clearly didn't want to share, so, I didn't pry.

"I have a question" I said.

He gave me a nod to continue, his eyes staring out at the white lights glowing from one of the Erudite buildings.

"Why do you act differently around me?" I asked softly, pushing a stray piece of hair back behind my ear. It wasn't hard to notice. At first, I tried to deny what everyone else had been telling me. I had no choice but to face it today when I saw the difference in the way he treated me and Molly.