05

It's not so bad.

You got through the part where everyone stares at you when you walk in and now you're leaning against a beige wall in a long hallway. There's bodies everywhere. Some dancing. Others making out with one another or indulging in conversation.

Eren had left you about five minutes ago to grab a drink. You declined his offer for one yourself, but you wonder if you should just take a few sips of something so you don't look like a loser.

People have been passing by you with evaluating stares and it's starting to become overwhelming. It's the same stares you get when you feel like you don't belong somewhere. Like you're the odd man out.

Wanting to believe that you're just overreacting, you decide to move to a different room to see if the stares continue. You push yourself off the wall, feeling a slight resistance due to your bare skin sticking to the wall from all the humidity brought on by the people in the house.

It's not a very big house. It's two stories, but no one is allowed upstairs. It's a traditional farm house which means the land itself is the main attraction. This Jean guy must have a busy life if he has to go to school and work on his farm.

"You look a little lost," a males voice can be heard above the ruckus. You look to your right and see a tall boy leaning against the wall which is right at the end of the hall you were just in.

"This place is not big enough to get lost in," you press your lips together in a tight smile.

"Ouch," he scratches his head. "I mean I know it's nothing compared to the mansions you and everyone else lives in, but it's not all that bad."

"I didn't say it was a bad thing," you furrow your eyebrows. "I just mean I'm not lost because it's not a place you can really get lost in."

The boy lifts a beer bottle up to his lips and takes a long sip. "Well I hope you're enjoying yourself. It's an honor to have the coaches daughter in my house."

"So you must be Jean, then?" You give him a once over, seeing if you recognize him from the two practices you've been at. His features aren't ringing a any bells.

"That would be me," he nods boastfully. "How are you liking this small town?"

"Its... unique," you try to find the right word to use without being offensive. "It's just not what I'm used too. Everyone seems to know my business or wants to assume they do."

Jean smiles at you with a hint of a smirk. "Maybe that's because you're the most interesting thing to come into this town in years."

"How is that?" Your interest peaks. Most times this line is used by a guy, they just like to talk about your looks or your body.

"Well even though you're right in the middle of the team, you're not draping yourself over the players. The girls here like to look like trophies. Constantly being displayed as a prize. And you seem to have dreams that extended farther than this place" he lays his head against the wall and that's when you see the droopy look in his eyes. Common side effect of alcohol setting in. "But what do I know."

You look to your right and see Eren walking towards you with a beer in his hand. He meets your gaze and then his eyes flicker to Jean.

"You met the host of this fine party, I see," Eren gestures out his beer to Jean and they clink glasses.

"We were just chatting," Jean nods. "But I must go greet the others now. See you tomorrow at practice, manager. Don't party too hard."

You chuckle lightly, "I'll do my best."