🍩 - twenty

"what a great way to greet your dad na jaemin." a man who was seated on the couch, spoke.

"you didn't tell me you were coming." jaemin replied and looked everywhere but his dad. he was obviously worried.

"hello. i'm renjun. i'm jaemin's... roommate." renjun spoke and bowed a bit at the dad. jaemin's dad just nodded and looked at jaemin.

"today is the last day of the exam right? how was it?"

"it's... okay." jaemin said quietly.

"what do you mean okay? i expected good, but you told me it is okay?" the dad raised his voice a bit making the two flinched.

"look at me."

"jaemin."

jaemin held his fist and looked at his dad.

"you asked me for money, asked me for whatever you wanted when you and your mom had nothing and all i wanted back from you is for you to have good grades in school to help me with my business in the future. is it that hard?"

everyone stayed silent and the dad stood up.

"go reflect yourself. i wanna come back tomorrow and see a good son i raised, not an idiot like this." he said that and stormed out of the house.

renjun looked at jaemin and moved closer to him. he placed his hand on jaemin's fist for a second and got startled by jaemin's action. the younger stood up and grabbed the vase on the table them threw onto the floor. the sound of the vase cracking was so loud, making renjun gasped.

"jaemin." renjun stood up as well.

"i'm so dumb. why did i go to him for things that i could actually have these days?" the younger ranted as he threw himself back on the couch.

"jaemin calm down and talked to me. i'll listen." renjun held jaemin's hand and caressed it softly.

jaemin held his fist tightly and punched the table. renjun sat next to him and gave him a soft hug, trying to calm him down.

"hey you're not an idiot. don't ever say that again."

no one said anything after that. it was just renjun hugging jaemin while jaemin was spacing out the whole time.

"i'll go make us lunch." jaemin said after calming down. he slowly removed renjun's arms from his body and kissed renjun's forehead then headed to the kitchen without saying anything.

———

renjun: mom. how are you doing there?

rj's mom: i'm doing great. why do you sound like that? is everything okay?

renjun: yeah. everything's fine.

rj's mom: you really don't sound fine. tell me what is it? is your boyfriend making you upset?

renjun: nooo. jaemin didn't do anything.

rj's mom: not you admitting that jaemin is your boyfriend.

renjun: oh right i forgot to tell you that.

rj's mom: i sometimes question if i'm really your mon or not. it's really concerning because you never tell me anything.

renjun: now you're being dramatic.

rj's mom: jokes aside. if you have anything you wanna share to someone, just tell me. i'm your mother. i know if something's wrong with my son.

renjun: okay. i'm gonna go do some painting now. i'll talk to you later.

he hung up the phone and took out a canvas from his luggage. he sat down on his bed then put on his headphone and turned the music on really loud. he started to arrange it and did some sketching first.

after some minutes he suddenly felt two arms wrapping around his body from behind. he flinched a bit then took off the headphones. he didn't have to turn around to know who it was. the smell of perfume, the feeling was very familiar for him.

he placed his hand on the arm that was on his waist and spoke.

"jaemin? what are you doing here?"

"your mom told me you're sad. i'm sorry if it involves me." jaemin said placing his forehead on the older's shoulder.

"what? i'm not sad. i'm sure she's just messing around like how she is. don't worry. go to sleep." renjun removed jaemin's arms from his body and turned to him.

"then why are you painting at 10 pm? auntie said you only paint at night when you're sad."

"then what about you? jaemin are you sad?" renjun asked.

jaemin stayed silent for some seconds and nodded but he didn't speak at all.

"do you want to tell me about it?" renjun said looking up and jaemin's face.

"it's nothing serious." jaemin said and formed a smile but renjun was not convinced at all.

"what do you mean it's not serious jaem? you broke a whole vase because of it." renjun said with his voice raising up a bit.

"i said it's not serious. it really is not serious, so don't ask about it or let that bothers you!!" jaemin's voice was getting lourder by words.

renjun felt upset. ever since they got together, that was the first time he heard jaemin raising his voice at him but he also understood that the younger was not in his right mind. he just smiled and caressed jaemin's cheeks.

"okay. i'm sorry. i want to sleep now. go back to your room."

jaemin looked at renjun one last time and simply leaving the room.

———

renjun woke up the next day with the light of the sun shining into through the thin white curtains became he forgot to closed the thicker one before sleeping last night. he tried to move but he felt himself getting stuck. he looked down and saw a pair of arms around his waist.

"jaemin?" he said softly but heard no response.

he removed jaemin's arm and turned around to face him. he stared at the younger's eyes for some good minutes before waking him up. he brushed his index finger against jaemin's nose while mumbling.

"jaem wake up. it's almost noon now."

jaemin moved a bit but he didn't wake up. renjun then pinched his fluffy cheeks making him whined in pain.

"what are you doing?"

"get up. the maid is gonna be here soon."

jaemin still didn't get up so renjun decided to give up. he still didn't know when jaemin came inside his room and got to sleep last night.

he went to take a shower and got out of his bedroom. he saw the front door opened and assumed it was the maid but he was wrong. it was jaemin's father. he came in with a pretty girl behind him.

renjun sat down, hiding himself behind the hallway handrails upstairs and crawled back into his room.

"jaemin. your dad is here."

no response.

"JAEMIN." he screamed and pulled jaemin up from the bed.

"your dad is here. go get ready."

jaemin suddenly widened his eyes and went to get ready as renjun said.

- 🍩 -