Chapter 18

"The gym? But that's more than fifty meters away."

The same two sentences had been running in Aria's head for an unknown-th time. Sleeping and focusing both proved themselves a challenge.

For all she knew, the range she was capable of was just a fifty-meter radius. If the noise was fifty-one meters away from her, she wouldn't be able to hear it. Unless she was wrong on her first assumption... or her potential improved. But that would be quite a jump.

"Earth to Aria!" Ohm's voice finally registered in her ears after a few shouts, snatching her out of her train of thoughts.

"Huh? What?"

"You okay?" he asked, brows furrowed and eyes telling that he was worried for his friend, whose mind had been wandering away from her body.

"Yeah, yeah. Why?" She straightened her body.

"You've been playing with your food and spacing out for minutes now."

"Is something bothering you?" Namtarn, on her left, asked.

"No, no, nothing." Aria forced a smile as her head shook left and right. "I'm fine."

She decided not to tell them yet their-her and Wave's-theory of her potential improving. It was not yet confirmed anyway. She wanted to be sure before telling her friends.

"Are you sure?" Ohm asked again. He just couldn't easily shake off her spacing out. No one can blame him. His friend looked concerning when she was staring nowhere. "Is it Wave?"

"What? No."

Technically, it was him. His words kept ringing in her head as if a broken record. So it was his fault why she was spacing out. But Ohm's tone was accusing, forcing her to deny it. She didn't want her friends hating on each other.

"It's nothing."

"Don't let me catch you it's him, alright?"

Aria gave him a "seriously?" look, but a smile was plastered on her face. She appreciated the concern, though there was nothing to be concerned about.

"What about you, Pang?" Ohm asked.

Their head turned to the current topic who just had a spoonful of their lunch.

"What about me?"

"The midterm exam is coming, how's your potential?"

"I don't know," he replied, almost came out as a mumble.

Aria looked at him. She was sure that Pang had an idea or two about his potential, albeit she didn't have even just one. She hadn't asked him what happened that one faithful day. About his and Nac's fight. But she did not bother to. It might be private, so she did not think of asking him... yet.

"What do you mean you don't know?" the mother of the group asked.

But Pang kept his mouth shut after placing another spoonful of rice.

"You can tell us, you know," Aria said, as if hinting at him that she might know something even though her knowledge was very vague.

But still, the boy didn't budge and kept his lips zipped.

"There's still two of you who haven't found your potential yet." Aria's gaze turned to her classmate sitting at a different table. His camera pointing at a couple a bit further away from them.

She traced what-or who-he was trying to capture and found the couple, Claire and Punn. The previous class head was teaching his girlfriend how to play the violin, who noticed Korn. Korn was startled, so he looked away and set his camera back on the table and instead just put his headphones on.