Chapter 52

It was the weekend the next day. Aria rushed out of her room wearing a button-up and jeans, tying her hair up that brushed her nape. A cellphone was the only thing in her hand as she wore her flat shoes before closing her door.

"What's the rush?"

Aria looked to her right to see Sol in a deep green hoodie and grey sweatpants, identical to what she had.

"Nothing." She smiled, hiding her hands on her back.

Sol wasn't convinced. She looked blue for the past few days, and yet why was she suddenly that joyous?

"All right, then. Since you're all dressed up, Ten called. She said Uno is treating us to lunch. Didn't you receive the call?"

Aria didn't, to her confusion. She checked her cellphone to see if Ten did call. And she did. There were four missed calls coming from her and three from Lily. She mustn't have heard them. Aria was too busy feeling the glee that her Gifted classmates had accepted her.

Pang called her last night, inviting her to their meeting. She hesitated at first, but when Pang assured her that everyone agreed to trust her, she literally jumped on her bed, waking her dorm mates. Pang showed her proof that they had said yes. Everyone but Wave. But that was fine.

She had to thank Pang over and over. It was him who had been with her since the beginning, it was him who found her cellphone, and it was him who convinced everyone to trust her.

"I'm sorry, Sol, I can't come with you guys. I have a group study with the Gifted class." It was a lie. It was not a group study, but a group meeting.

"Is that so?"

Aria hummed and nodded.

"Well then, I'll just tell them," Sol replied with his usual sweet smile.

"Thank you. Tell them I'll make it up next time. Bye!" Aria broke into a run as she waved to her friend.

Sol waved back with a cheeky smile, yet hid his perfect teeth. The moment she disappeared from his field of vision, Sol took out his cellphone to text Ten.

"Sorry Ten. Aria and I can't come. School works:D"

He sent his message before hiding his cellphone back and followed Aria without her knowing.

°°°

"Quarantining the students. Erasing the staff's memories." Mon slammed her locker inside their hideout.

The group were back as a team again——minus Namtarn. Aria came into their hideout with Pang. She was nervous still before coming in, but her friend assured her that they would welcome her. And they did. Everyone gave her a warm smile when she entered. They started talking to her and the room was just filled with nothing but sunshine. That was until Wave entered. As soon as he entered the room, everything turned awkward. The loudness died down and they only conversed through whispers.

Aria couldn't bear to look at Wave, who made his way to his desk, in front of his laptop. Meanwhile, she was beside Ohm, across from Claire on the table.

Sol was just outside, hiding and listening. And he had no idea what they were talking about. Erasing memories? Does the school have a brainwashing gadget? Why would they have brainwashing equipment in the first place? And what of the students being quarantined?

He knew he was right to follow Aria into that school. From what he heard, that school hid a lot of skeletons and was dangerous.