Chapter 31

"Breathe in, breathe out," Aria kept reminding herself. Namtarn could be in danger; she couldn't let herself faint without telling anyone that her friend needed help.

She was in a bad situation. Her breaths kept shortening, the pounding in her head wouldn't leave her alone, and the purple spots were starting to cover her vision.

From that moment on, she knew she'd pass out. But she must not. However, with the big revelation that was thrown at her and Namtarn's cries up on the rooftop, sooner or later Aria might just find herself in the infirmary. Add in the noises around that were not helping in any way.

In fear of that scenario happening, she immediately took her earphones and put them quickly. She tried playing any song, but it won't play. She tried it again, however, just like before, it wouldn't work. In a panic, she exited the application and opened it again, only for it not to work for the third time.

"What's happening?" she hysterically asked no one whilst panting.

All of a sudden, her phone wouldn't respond to her touches. As if the screen froze. Then it shut down on its own.

Confusion filled her. It was just fine earlier, but why couldn't she use it then? Especially since she and Namtarn need the others' help.

A random memory flashed in her head. "Take care of your phone, Aria. Once Wave got a hold of it, he can easily hack it," Ohm told her months ago when she was getting closer to Wave.

"Did he really hack it?" she asked no one, once again. "But when?" Aria had a few instances in her head when Wave held her phone.

The purple spots started clouding her vision even more. It was getting worse. The cacophony was getting worse and she couldn't do anything but prevent herself from completely sleeping. And so, Aria did what she learned to avoid passing out; she kept her head low at the level of her knees and kept eating her leftover candies. Unfortunately, there was only a handful of them.

Aria had no choice but to wait for help. She couldn't bear to stand up. She couldn't, not in her current state.

°°°

Pang marched in the hallway of the school, his phone pressing on his ear as he waited for Namtarn to pick up the call. However, a female robotic voice responded to him instead, "The number you're trying to reach is currently not available."

Next time, he tried to reach Aria. But like the first girl, she couldn't be reached either. Both of them had been gone since their morning break. They hadn't heard of them since. Pang and Ohm were worried, so they decided to look for them. But it had been more or less fifteen minutes since, and they hadn't heard of the girls.

The speaker near Pang made a buzzing noise, catching his attention. A few more seconds and another female robotic voice came out of it.

"This is an emergency broadcast system giving you a message from your new god. All teachers and students, the purge day is upon us. The purge day is upon us."

Pang didn't understand what the voice meant, but he sure had an idea who was behind it. A strong idea that he knew he couldn't be wrong.

His thoughts were cut short when a notification rang from his cellphone. It was from Punn in their group chat without Wave and Aria. He was telling them to go to the auditorium that instant.

Conflicted at first as his two friends were still missing, and yet, Pang ran towards the said place hoping that both girls would show up. But to his disappointment, none of the two were present.