Part 22- The talk

Y/N POV

Leaving the living room Votina stabilised me as we walked slowly to my barwen, I felt dizzy and overwhelmed. My world seemed to have turned on its head in a matter of hours and I truly had not expected it. As I opened the door I dropped my illusion and she smiled at me "Gwese dear sister, it is good to really see you" she greeted me in our native tounge as she folded me into her arms and I let out a sob.

She let go of me but stayed holding my hand, we sat down on the ground by my books, it would have felt too strange to sit on Midgardian furniture right now. "This is all such a mess" I managed between sobs.

Votina giggled at me "You know, you sound so different, I wasn't sure if you were putting a voice on earlier", I looked at her with mild annoyance, was she really making jokes right now? She pouted at me and swiped tears from my cheek. "The humans have such an informal manner of speech, I suppose I picked it up in an attempt to blend in" I said smiling, "They are so informal, it's rather overwhelming" she said in Noldoli, I smiled hearing my home language and took a deep breath.

"Do I have to ask, or are you going to tell me why you haven't told him?" she said quieter while keeping a firm hold of my hand, stroking it as she spoke.

"What if it is not requited?" I muttered, readying myself for her to roll her eyes. "Nym, in millions of years, I have never heard a single account of an unrequited love between Umesco's. It would not be the first time a Noldoli has linked to an Asgardian." I looked at her with my head tilted, she shrugged "I did some research, about Midgardians and Asgardians. I knew you would come across both here. As soon as we saw him both your brother and I knew. It's really remarkable, even though he isn't Noldoli, the similarities are there. You must have known the second you saw him. Just like I did with your brother" I nodded, it was true, the similarities were unmistakable, they always had been. I cast my mind back months ago, to the first time we locked eyes. "I'm scared Votina" I said with a small sob.

She let go of my hand, pulled me closer to her and placed her hands on my face. I looked into her soothing blue eyes as she spoke "Nym, you are the bravest of all of us. When your brother dusted you held our clan together, when the life plants seemed to fail only you could restore them. When you got the call you followed it, out of the realm and to Midgard of all places. While you have been here you perfected a new language, made new friends and built your own family. Your magic is so strong you have fought in wars and maintained a human form while you did it. You fended for yourself, healed people and helped this realm for the better. You did all this with a screaming in your head that I could not imagine. You have no reason to be afraid Nym, you have achieved so much already and you will continue to flourish in all your years to come. I know that in my heart of hearts".

I took a deep breath. Her words calmed me in a way I couldn't imagine. She was right, I am strong, stronger than I give myself credit for. Perhaps being surrounded by such strong people had made me faulter in realising my own strength. In my true form I felt more connected to everything, everyone. I felt her pride and love for me in every word she said. I leant forward and placed my forehead to hers. We sat there for a few minutes when a knock came at the door. I shifted back to my human form as Votina stood up.

LOKI's POV

I knocked on the door and called quietly "little Noldoli, can I enter?" Votina opened the door. I looked over to y/n in the corner, she looked exhausted and emotional. I wanted to hold her, draw her into me. Of course there were people here who knew her better, might be able to help more, her own flesh and blood was here now. But I was the one who came to find her, I believe that despite her love for the team, I am the person she is closest with here, just as she is to me.

The gnome in front of me looked me up and down, it was clear that she had not been born into a head family. She had the look of someone who had to work for respect, despite her small stature and fragile frame she reminded me somewhat of Lady Sif. A woman who was strong and capable. She did not earn her respect due to the men in her life, she clearly earnt it through her own skill. She must be powerful, especially if she had heard y/n's prayers from so far away.

I smiled at her lightly, realising to her I was a giant, and I wanted to reassure her that I meant no ill. After a second she turned from me to look back to y/n who pressed a small smile onto her face as she nodded. Votina turned back to me and finally spoke. "I've seen you in visions over the last year. I know your past and I know how you care for her. I will leave the two of you." She looked back at y/n "I don't trust your brother with that god of thunder anyhow" y/n laughed. Votina looked at me again, and I could see a small light switch in her mind, remembering who I was she gave a small and gracious curtsey before closing the door behind her.

Y/n stood up and stepped forward, looking up at me with emotion all over her face. Without thinking I folded her into my arms. "It's okay y/n" I whispered to her, breathing in her scent, she smelt like a meadow of flowers, like dust after rain.

She was shaking a little "it's all a lot" she mumbled back, her face buried in my chest. I took a deep breath, I could hold her here forever, but the paths have aligned this way and I could not put off the question forever. No matter the answer, it was time to ask the question. In some way I am so sure, but in others I was terrified. "Is it me?" I whispered so low that for a second I wasn't sure if she heard me.

Y/N POV

I pulled away to look at Loki, for the first time I felt like I was allowed to look at them, really look. In their male form Loki towered above me. His beautiful dark hair fell in light curls, perfectly framing his angular jaw and soft lips. I looked up at his eyes, those deep powerful green eyes that had made the call sing so loud the first time I saw them. I felt the wave of electricity surge between us as I placed a hand on his cheek. Smiling softly I asked, "Is that a question you really want answering? You know what an Umesco is, what it would mean". It wouldn't be a usual courtship, other cultures don't typically start dating with 'Hi there! You're my soulmate'.

He nodded slowly at me "Eternal love, pure connection between souls." He closed his eyes and leaned into my hand, catching his breath before he started talking, "Y/N I am 1052 years old, I have experienced death, torture, loss and abuse. I have felt abandoned and used, undermined and unloved. I have experienced what it is like to be hated by few and by many. But never in my life have I ever experienced true love, from my brother and mother yes of course, but it has not always been easy or freely given. I thought it wasn't possible for me to have romantic love in this life, that I was destined to live my life alone, a monster, an outcast. But maybe that's not true. Maybe I have a soulmate, maybe I have a home, maybe I have you." He opened his eyes as emotion swelled between the two of us, placing a hand on my waist he pulled me a little closer to him. "Yes. I am ready to have that question answered".

LOKI's POV

She let go of my cheek and pulled away from me slightly. For a second I panicked, worrying I had said too much. As I watched her step back green mist filled the room. Becoming so light on her feet she seemed to lift in the air as she turned gracefully. Her dark brown hair began to curl and lengthen, the ends of her hair turning a deep forest green. She shrunk, about 4 inches, her ears grew into little points that stuck out of her wild hair, tattoos of leaves and vines covered her skin, while decorative jewellery appeared in her nose and ears. I gasped as two small golden velvet horns grew on the top of her head, just peeking out through the silky hair that framed her perfect face. She gently floated to the floor.

As the mist cleared she looked up at me, with piercing green eyes.