Part 26- Return

LOKI's POV

I paced around the kitchen again, up and down, holding my book open, but not reading it. I was so focused on my own thoughts that I didn't notice Barnes walking in to the room and starting to make coffee. As the machine started to whir I looked up to see the Bucky watching me. "Can I help you?" I snapped. He laughed, I didn't particularly like his laughing at me. "I miss her too Loki, she'll be home soon". I sighed, placing my book onto the counter and turning the kettle on.

"It's been a week" I said flatly, "She left in such a hurry" I looked down at the tea bag in my cup and let out a stressed grumble. "Do you think she was really sick?" I asked after a moment, Barnes came over to me and slapped a hand on my back. In my female form he was just slightly taller than me, it felt a little unnerving. "I don't know Loki, she told us not to worry, and I trust her. We've just gotta hope that whatever fancy plant magic they have over on her planet makes her feel better". I nodded and took a sip of my tea.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before I stood up and began to pace again, I stopped still and looked at the soldier in front of me. "Sargent Barnes?" I said cautiously, he gave me a look, "Bucky" I conceded. "I owe you an apology", Barnes looked up at me, shocked. He went to open his mouth but I held up my hand. "I have been most unpleasant to you at times" I said sadly "I have long had problems with jealousy, growing up in Thor's shadow did no good to my pride or ego, it's something I've been working on. But I would be lying if I said my feelings for y/n had not got the better of me at points" He nodded slowly.

"Lady Loki" he said, standing to address me properly "your apology is greatly appreciated, and accepted." I smiled at him "but honestly Loki you don't need to apologise to me, after everything that happened after Starks party I had wanted to apologise to you, and to explain but you were so angry I couldn't manage to talk to you, and after you and y/n had worked it out I felt like I shouldn't bring it up again." I nodded and then laughed "We're more alike than you might think aren't we Barnes?" he chuckled, "You could say that for sure pal" my heart warmed at the word 'pal'.

"Loki we both have experienced some really shitty things, that kind of stuff messes you up, it's no wonder we've both been so protective over someone so kind and gentle as y/n" I nodded, "I must ask for my own sake, did you ever have feelings for her?" he smiled at me and shrugged "y/n is incredibly attractive, intelligent and kind. I think most everyone would have thought about her that way" he looked at me nervously, but I nodded for him to continue "But very honestly, she has been the friend I needed, there is nothing romantic between the two of us. I love her, most definitely, but not romantically". I sighed a huge breath of relief, and nodded, "I would very much like to start over with you Sargent Barnes" I said after a brief pause, he grinned "Right back at you Prince Loki".

I transported myself up to y/n's room, and looked around it. Making sure no one was around to hear me I walked over to her plants and began to sing, she hadn't asked me to do so but I knew she would be worried about them being neglected in her absence. She'd given Wanda strict instructions on how to care for each one before she left, but still.

While I sang I re-made her bed again, re-fluffing the pillows to make sure they would be perfect for her return. As I ran my fingers along the books on one of her shelves Jarvis chimed at me "Lady Loki, I would like to inform you that y/n has just arrived outside". My heart skipped a beat, I ran to her mirror and changed back and forth between forms before settling on my male form, all the better to scoop her up with. Running my hand through my hair, I transported myself to the landing space outside.

Y/N POV

I landed on the ground with a thump, I looked down at myself for a moment before deciding to stay in my true form, they'd all seen it, why go back now? As I ruffled myself off from the journey and began to head towards the complex a tall figure dressed in green materialised in front of me. My heart began to soar. Without thinking I started to run towards him, as we reached each other he scooped me up spun me round, "By the gods y/n it's so wonderful to see you" Loki grinned at me, his happiness was infectious and I found myself laughing.

"Well well, looks who's finally home, welcome back Lorax" Tony grinned as the rest of the team started to appear, "Lady y/n, it's so good to see you!" Thor chimed happily, soon I was embraced in a huge superhero hug, "Guys get off me, I can hardly breathe! It was only a week!" I exclaimed.

"Come inside y/n, we're ordering pizza" My mouth started to salivate "Yes!" I cried out, "Forget you lot, it's fast food that I really missed". Everyone burst out laughing. 

As we started to walk towards the building Nat pushed Loki out of the way with a wink, Wanda joined her and they linked arms with me "God it's so weird seeing you like this, you look like you, but also not?" Nat said, thinking aloud. "Well you look far more intimidating from down here" I joked at her using my hands to mimic binoculars.

We ate in comfortable silence, everyone knew I was tired from my trip and they were all just happy we were back together again. After dinner I stood up to clear my plate, but Bucky grabbed it out of my hands with a wink. "Go have a bath and go to bed" he told me, I sniffed my arm pits for a second, paranoid. He laughed "you smell like flowers and fresh air and shit, it's messing up Stark's industrial vibe". I stuck my tongue out and yawned, "It's not a bad idea Barnes" I joked back.

Loki was on his feet in a flash, "Allow me to escort you to your room Lady Nym" he said with a mock bow. Nat and Clint made fake gag sounds as I took Loki's hand and we left the room. Walking inside I smiled, my plants all began to chatter welcoming me home, I grinned "You sung to them!" I exclaimed, looking at Loki in adoration. He grinned, and blushed slightly, turning to the plants he said "did you guys have to rat me out?" I laughed, "They prefer your male voice" I said with a smile "duly noted my lady" he replied.

With a flick of his wrist he smiled "a bath has been drawn for you my lady, I will leave you to sleep". He looked at me deeply before leaving the room. I sighed, maybe I should have asked him to stay.

After a long bath I crawled towards my bed, hardly able to keep my eyes open, looking around I saw a big stack of books by my bed "Sorry" I muttered to them as I knocked them all over. In seconds Loki was at my door to check on me "stay?" I asked with a grin. "What a clever trick my lady" he grinned in response. He laid down on the bed beside me and in seconds I was asleep.