Chapter 12

"Stay together!  Hurry now!  Arm yourselves!" Gandalf says.  We all stand, unsheathe our weapons and run to join the other dwarves.

Bilbo is the last to join us as we anxiously wait for our attacker to strike. 

"Theives!  Fire!  Murder!" is what we hear as a wizard, clad entirely in brown, rips through the forest on a sled driven by rabbits. 

I can honestly tell you that it was a really weird sight. 

"Radagast!" Gandalf sighs, putting his sword away.  I stare at the wizards and sigh, putting my axe on my back once more.  All of us dwarves look genuinly confused, and Gandalf chuckles. 

"It's Radagast the Brown.  Well, what on earth are you doing here?" 

All of us slowly put our weapons away, and Fili looks disappointed that we didn't have a fight. 

"I was looking for you, Gandalf.  Something's wrong.  Something's terribly wrong," Radagast says, panting. 

"Yes?" Gandalf asks. 

Radagast tries to form words, but he stumbles over little bits of sentences.

"Just give me a minute," he begins, tapping his chin. "Oh, I had a thought and now I've lost it.  It was right there on the tip of my tongue."

There's a pause, and all of us dwarves stare at Radagast, waiting for what he's going to say.

"Oh, it's not a thought at all," he says.  His tongue is slightly out, and Gandalf gently pulls a stickbug out of his mouth and places it on his hand.  I groan in digust and I can tell by the other's faces that they aren't pleased either. 

"It's a silly old stick insect," Radagast finishes. 

After that, Gandalf dismisses us to go wait around while he talks to the strange old wizard.  As we're sitting, I slowly sharpen the blade of my axe with a rock. 

When I'm done with my weapon, I go and sit on the same rock as Fili and Kili, right in between them.

"I'm tired," I mumble, resting my head on Fili's shoulder. 

"Hopefully we find somewhere safe to sleep tonight," Fili replies, smiling.

I nod and look at the green trees all around us.  A lot of dwarves are standing around and talking, but we aren't.  We're just sitting by ourselves. 

"I have an idea.  Follow me," Kili says, grinning.  Fili and I stand up and follow the young dwarf a little ways away from the others.  We find a large cluster of huge rocks, and Kili starts climbing them. 

"What are you doing?" I ask. 

"It's a competition.  Whoever can get to the top first wins!"  Kili smirks. "And it looks like I'm already ahead." 

"Oh no you don't!" Fili calls, grinning and chasing after his brother.  I follow, and as they pull each other to the ground I have a chance to reach the top with ease. 

"I swear, you have the feet of the elves," Kili says, picking himself up from the dogpile that him and Fili were in. 

I just chuckle and slide back down the rock.  As I reach the bottom, Bofur comes up to us. 

"Thorin is having a meeting with us." 

"Alright, thanks," I say.  Bofur smiles at me and starts walking back, and he's soon passed by the three of us, who are running. 

After Thorin gathers us, we hear a howling ring out through the forest. 

"Was that a wolf?" Bilbo asks.  "Are there wolves out there?" 

I wish it was a wolf.  I really do. 

"Wolves?  No, that is not a wolf," Bofur says, fear in his voice.  

We hear a growling from behind us and we all turn, yelling in horror as we come face to face with a warg, one of the biggest and ugliest dog-like creatures in Middle Earth.

It leaps on Nori, and Thorin and Bofur soon kill it.

"Kili!  Get your bow!" Thorin yells.  Kili is the only archer in our group.  He's taught me a bit, but I'll never be as good as he is. 

Kili strings an arrow and shoots.  The arrow flies straight into the second warg's mouth, making it stumble.  It falls around a tree and snaps it's jaws, and Dwalin thrusts his axe into its head. 

"Warg scouts," Thorin growls, pulling his sword out of the dead body of a warg.  "Which means an Orc pack is not far behind." 

"Orc pack," Bilbo exclaims. 

"Who did you tell about your quest beyond your kin?" Gandalf demands. 

"No one," Thorin says. 

"Who did you tell?!" 

"No one, I swear!" Thorin yells.  "What in Durin's name is going on?" 

"You are being hunted," Gandalf says. 

"We have to get out of here," Dwalin says.

"We can't!  We have no ponies!" Ori cries.  Warg howling is heard in the distance, and everyone looks at each other. 

"They bolted," Ori continues. 

"I'll draw them off," Radagast says. 

"These are Gundabad Wargs.  They will outrun you," Gandalf insists. 

"These are Rhosgobel rabbits," Radagast shoots back. "I'd like to see them try."