Chapter 56

After a week, it's time to set back to the mountain. I have told everyone of the fate that has befallen Thorin, Fili, and Kili, and told them that it is safe to return home. They know that I am the Queen Under the Mountain.

"I am ready to head home," I say as I saddle up my pony. Dwalin nods in agreement and glances at the mass of dwarves behind us, all of whom are preparing themselves for the journey.

When everyone has gathered their belongings and are all packed up, Dwalin and Bofur are on ponies beside me while Gloin has decided to travel with his family.

"Onwards!" I shout. I start to ride and everyone follows.

The journey goes rather smoothly. The weather remains pleasant and all of my kin seem keen on getting back to their homeland.

We reach Erebor in a week and a half. As we arrive, cries of joy fill the air as dwarves lay their eyes on the home they lost sixty years ago.

"Nossa!" Balin calls as I approach the front gate. I jump off my pony and hug him before leading everyone inside.

"You've done a good job of the place," I say, looking around. All the rubble is cleaned up, the door has been somewhat repaired, and the place seems cleaner than it's been in a long time.

"So, the dwarves of Erebor return to the mountain," Balin sighs. He watches as dwarves young and old walk past us.

I nod, then remember what I need to tell the white haired dwarf.

"Balin, there is something that I need to tell you urgently."

"What is it, Nossa?" he asks, worry etched into his voice.

"The line of Durin no longer ends with me."

He watches me for a moment.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm pregnant."

Balin's eyes widen and travel to my stomach.

"Really?"

"Yes," I reply, smiling for what feels like the first time in forever.

"This is wonderful news! The best I've heard in a while!" he exclaims.

"They will take the throne as soon as they come of age. They will be the rightful ruler."

Balin nods understandingly. I nod back and head to the stables, where I leave my pony. I then go to my room, where I begin to unpack.

I'll have a tale or two to tell this child, I think. My fingers brush my stomach and a lengthy sigh escapes my lips.