Chapter 35

I nod and sit down next to Fili and Kili. Kili's face is pale and he looks like he's in so much pain. I feel horrible for him.

I put my hand on his, and he looks over at me, a light, pained smile on his face. Fili puts his hand on my wrist, and we all exchange glances.

Bard steers the ship, and massive rocks loom through the fog.

"Watch out!" Bofur yells, clinging to the barge.

Bard doesn't reply, just steers expertly around the rocks.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin demands.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here," Bard replies.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy Lakeman," Dwalin grumbles. "I say we throw him over the side and be done with it."

"Bard, his name's Bard," Bilbo grumbles.

"How do you know?" Bofur asks.

"Uh, we asked him," I say. They look at me, then back at the lake.

"I don't care what he calls himself. I don't like him," Dwalin grunts.

"We do not have to like him. We simply have to pay him," Balin says, counting stacks of coins. "Come on now, lads and lass. Turn out your pockets."

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin asks.

"We don't," Thorin replies.

"I probably wouldn't make him angry, whether he's trustworthy or not. He has pretty good aim with his bow," I point out. I drop my money on Balin's table, and he counts all the money quickly.

"There's just a wee problem," Balin says finally. "We're 10 coins short."

Thorin sighs and crosses his arms.

"Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have."

"Don't look at me!" the dwarf retorts. "I have been bled dry by this venture. What have I seen for my investment? Naught a misery and grief and--"

By this point, all of us have stood up and are staring out over the lake. The Lonely Mountain looms over, closer than ever before.

"Woah," I mumble.

"Bless my beard," Gloin whispers. "Take it. Take all of it." He hands us his leather pouch of coins, which is more than enough to pay Bard with.

Bilbo clears his throat, and I turn to see Bard walking towards us.

"The money. Give it to me. Quick," he whispers.

"We will pay you when we get our provisions but not before," Thorin says.

"If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say," Bard replies. "There are guards ahead."

We all look out over the side of the barge at Lake-town. It looks awful, filled with broken down wooden buildings and smoke.

"Get in the barrels," Bard demands.

"This was your plan?" Fili asks.

"Yes. Get in the barrels. Everyone but the girl."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because they'll believe that you are a human child, with your height and lack of facial hair. They'll let you through, but your comrades are not that lucky," he explains.

"That makes me feel good," I grumble.

"Would you rather be in a barrel or out here?" Bard asks. I sigh and sit down on one of the chairs on the barge.

All the guys climb into the barrels, and Fili glares at Bard.

"If you let anyone touch her, I'll kill you myself."