Chapter 22

We run as fast as we can, but outrunning wargs is nearly impossible. They're on us in moments, and I swing my axe into one's skull.

We keep running, but soon realize that the cliff we're on comes to a dead end that's covered in pine trees.

"Up into the pine trees!" Gandalf orders. "All of you! Come on, climb! Bilbo, climb!"

I scale the tree with ease and find myself a nook that's high enough so wargs can't get me.

"They're coming!" Thorin yells. Fili jumps up, and I pull him into the tree. Next is Kili, who is pulled up by both me and Fili.

Wargs, probably 30 of them, run into the clearing and start circling our trees. That's when we see him, astride his white Warg.

Azog the Defiler.

"Azog," Thorin growls. The Warg growls, and Azog sniffs the air before saying something in Black Speech that Thorin seems to understand.

"It cannot be," he mutters. Azog sees Thorin and orders his wargs to do something. They run at us and start jumping at our trees. I almost fall, but Fili catches me.

"Hold on!" he yells.

The wargs can jump high, and their powerful jaws bite off tree branches. Kili almost falls, but I catch his arm.

"None of us are falling," I say. We hold on to the tree and each other as we avoid the warg's jaws.

Trees start getting uprooted, and we leap from our tree to the next. As that one begins to fall, we leap again. Eventually, all the dwarves are on the last tree. The wargs are coming, and I see Gandalf grab a pinecone and set it on fire.

He throws it down at the wargs, who yelp and back away. Gandalf grabs another two flaming pinecones and looks down at us.

"Fili!" he calls, tossing one to him. He catches it and lights Bilbo's pinecone. He had landed right next to Fili and I in this whole ordeal.

Kili lights mine, and we all begin throwing them. As I go to throw mine, I feel a sharp pain in my arm. When I look down, my injury from the arrow is still bleeding. I haven't paid attention to it because of everything that's been going on.

"Nossa, are you alright?" Fili asks.

"I was shot in the goblin tunnels. Just, keep throwing while I stop the bleeding," I reply.

"You were shot in the goblin tunnels?!"

"Keep throwing pinecones! I'll tell you later!"

Fili reluctantly continues throwing, and I rip off a corner of my shirt. I tie it around my injury and keep throwing pinecones, despite how much it hurts.

The wargs and orcs begin retreating, and we all laugh until our tree begins to uproot. We all fall, and Ori grabs hold of Dori's legs before he has a chance to fall to his death.

Kili clings desperately to a tree branch, and I hear Dori yell out.

"Mr. Gandalf!"

Gandalf sticks out his staff and they catch it just in time. I look over at Thorin, who's standing up to go face off Azog.