Chapter 52

We charge at the orcs, and Thorin yells in Dwarvish. The dwarves from the Iron Hills follow us, and our weapons clash with those of the orc army.

I stab and spin and kill orcs left and right. It's exhilarating.

As I finish off an Orc, Fili rides up to me on a huge goat.

"Nossa, you coming? Kili, Thorin, Dwalin, and I are going to take out Azog," he calls over the raging battle.

"Of course I'm coming! I'm staying with you," I reply. He takes my hand and pulls me onto the back of the beast before we start sprinting.

We catch up with Dwalin, Kili, and Thorin and ride through a mass of orcs, killing every single one in our path.

We ride up the side of a mountain and I hold onto Fili's torso. We reach the ruins of an old town, known as Ravenhill, and wipe out the orcs as we come onto the main ground.

Fili and I jump off the goat and stab the same Orc at the same time. We grin at each other and continue to fight, Kili joining us.

Soon, all the orcs are dead. As we catch our breaths, we stare at the cliff where Azog once stood.

"Where is he?" Kili asks.

A sick feeling settles into my stomach. Him disappearing is the worst thing that could happen.

"It looks empty. I think Azog has fled!" Kili continues, his voice filled with hope.

"Kili..." I begin.

"I don't think so," Thorin mutters. He turns to the three of us. "Fili, take your brother and your wife. Scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight. If you see something, report back. Do not engage. Do you understand?"

"We have company," Dwalin says, walking from where he was fighting to us. The screeching and snorting of goblins echoes through the ruins. "Goblin mercenaries. No more than a hundred."

"We'll take care of them," Thorin says. "Go! Go!"

Fili, Kili, and I take off running, our weapons in hand.

We duck under a stone ledge and start creeping across a frozen lake, not saying a word. Eventually, we reach a stone hallway.

Designs are etched into the damp walls and cold air surrounds us. The three of us look back and forth, trying to find anything.

Suddenly, a creature's roar echoes out through the hall. Our eyes all dart in its direction.

Kili starts to run for it, but Fili stops him.

"Hey. Stay here with Nossa. Search the lower levels. I've got this," he says confidently.

"There is no way I'm letting you go after some monster by yourself," I reply. Fili looks at me, his blue eyes burning into mine.

"Nossa, take care of my little brother. Kili, take care of my wife. I need you guys to get to safety. Please, I don't want to lose you."

"I don't want to lose you!" I retort, beginning to grow more panicked.

"Nossa, let's go! Fili is a great warrior, he'll be fine," Kili whispers. I look at the dark haired archer before looking to my husband.

"I love you," I whisper, kissing him. He smiles and kisses back.

"See you soon."

Kili takes my hand and leads me down the tunnel.  We twist and turn down different ruined hallways, and my stomach does flips.