Chapter 49

War? Is he serious? There are only fifteen of us, and not all of us are fierce warriors. I look to Thorin, shock evident on my face.

Suddenly, the clanging of iron against iron and the sound of marching feet is heard. We look to the horizon, where we see an entire Dwarvish army coming towards us. My jaw drops while everyone else just stares.

All of us begin to cheer and shake our weapons, while Thranduil yells something in Elvish and rides through his large mass of Elven soldiers. His army marches towards the dwarves, and the dwarves don't slow down.

Dain is riding atop a large, hairy pig laden with armor.

"Good morning! How is everyone?" Dain asks, a smirk on his face. "I have a little proposition if you don't mind giving me a few moments of your time." He pauses, his smirk disappearing. "Would you consider just sodding off?!"

"Stand fast!" Bard yells.

"Come now, Lord Dain," Gandalf says, emerging from the crowd.

"Gandalf the Grey," the dwarf greets. "Tell this rabble to leave or I'll water the ground with their blood!"

"There is no need for war between dwarves, men and elves," Gandalf says. "A legion of orcs march upon the mountain. Stand your army down!"

"I will not stand down before any elf!" Dain barks. "Not least this faithless woodland sprite!" He points at Thranduil, who simply smirks at his threat. "He wishes nothing but ill upon my people! If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then!"

The other dwarves cheer, but I don't. Just the thought of fighting makes me sick.

"He's clearly mad, like his cousin," Thranduil says sharply.

"You hear that, lads? We're on! Let's give these bastards a good hammering!" Dain yells. He raises his hammer into the air, earning a great cheer from his army and the dwarves in the mountain. I hold onto the wall, my heart hammering in my chest.

They don't realize how bad this battle is actually going to be, and I can't tell them. Thorin probably won't listen to me right now. I turn to Fili and Kili.

"Guys, we can't fight this. We'll die! It's too dangerous," I insist.

"We have the entire army from the Iron Hills behind us! We'll be fine," Kili says.

"No, we won't. Are you mad?" I demand. Suddenly, our conversation is interrupted by a mighty roar. We turn around and see a massive worm emerging from the ground.

This battle just got worse.