Chapter 53

After the ceremony, I find myself wandering the halls aimlessly. I can faintly hear the horns playing from Dale, but I don't go to the door to listen.

I just want Fili, Kili, and Thorin back. Their deaths killed me emotionally, and that's one of the only things worse than physical death.

As I wander, Balin runs into me.

"I need to talk to you. Since you are, in fact, of the line of Durin, I was wondering if you wanted to take the throne. Dain the Ironfoot has decided to return to the Iron Hills, and we need a ruler."

"I can't be ruler. I'm a girl," I say, my tone heavy.

"We're making an exception. You, Nossa, will be the first ever Queen Under the Mountain," he says.

I nod.

"I accept the throne. Will Bilbo be here for the ceremony?"

"If you want him to be, he will. It won't be a huge ceremony, just a crowning and a few words. Do you want to do it now?" he asks.

I nod again and we walk to where the tall green throne stands vacant. My heart pangs, making my knees weak.

Apparently, Balin had already told everyone about the crowning ceremony, because they're gathered around the throne, small smiles on their faces. I give a small smile back, one of the first since the battle.

Balin grabs a crown and a majestic fur cloak. I kneel, and he places the crown on my head as well as ties the cloak around my neck.

"Do you, Nossa Stonehelm-Durin, accept this throne? Will you honour the duties and commitment that accompanies the position of Queen Under the Mountain? Do you promise to always do what is right and never take you subjects for granted?" Balin asks.

"I promise," I reply.

"Then rise, Nossa Stonehelm-Durin, and begin your duties as Queen Under the Mountain."

I stand up and everyone cheers. I smile lightly and begin hugging each person in turn.

The last member of the remaining company to receive a hug is Bilbo. He looks at me, wiggles his nose, and puts his thumbs in his jacket pocket.

"You will do great as a queen, Nossa," he says. I pull him into a hug.

"Thank you, Bilbo. It was truly an honour to have you on our adventure."

A slight smile graces his lips and I turn back to the Dwarves.

"Everyone may go. The ceremony is over."

They all begin to depart, but Bilbo doesn't.

"Master Baggins, what's wrong?" I ask.

"I'm leaving tonight. Going back to Bag End," he replies.

"I'll miss you greatly, Bilbo."

He nods and purses his lips.

"I'm going to go get packed. I need to go before the sun sets."

I nod once and he leaves the throne room. I sigh heavily through my nose and walk down the long pathway ahead of me, not exactly sure where I'm going.

----------

Hours later, as the sun begins to sink lower in the sky, I walk to the front gate. There, I see Balin and Bilbo talking quietly. Gandalf stands nearby with a horse.

"There is to be a great feast tonight," Balin says. "Songs will be sung. Tales will be told." He pauses, looking up at the wall of the gate. "And Thorin Oakenshield will pass into legend."

"I know that's how you must honour him. But to me, he was never that. He was..." Bilbo chokes a bit. "To me. He was..." He shakes his head and smiles painfully. "I'll slip quietly away. Will you tell the others I said goodbye?"

I look around me. At that point, everyone else had gathered.

"You can tell us that yourself," I say. Bilbo stops, looking to Balin before turning to face us. He chuckles as he sees all of us standing there.

He walks towards us and stops, turning to his feet.

"If any of you are ever passing Bag End, uh..." he pauses, regaining his composure. Tea is at 4. There's plenty of it. You are welcome anytime."

We all bow.

"Uh... Don't bother knocking," the hobbit finishes. We all chuckle and he begins to walk away.

I step up to Balin's side as we watch dear Mr. Baggins leave. Tears start to well in my eyes and I wipe them away.

Farewell Master Baggins.