Chapter 42

Tauriel looks for a safe river out, and we row as fast as we can without running into any other boats. The night sky is brighter than the sun, filled with burning fire and smoke.

All of a sudden, the bell stops ringing. We look towards the tower, and the eyes of the kids widen as a figure with a bow appears against the flame.

"Da," Bain mutters.

"Da!" Tilda screams.

Bard is firing arrows at the dragon, but I know they aren't going to kill him. An arrow hits Smaug, and Kili's eyes widen.

"He hit the dragon! He did! He hit his mark! I saw!

"No," I reply, watching Smaug. "He cannot kill it."

"I fear nothing will," Tauriel sighs.

"Not without the black arrow," I finish.

I look over at Bain, who stands up and uses a hook to swing out of the boat.

"Bain, no!" his sisters yell.

"Come back!" Fili yells.

"Bain!" Bofur calls.

"You're going to get yourself killed!" I scream.

He doesn't listen and continues to run along the boardwalk.

"Leave him! We cannot go back," Tauriel says solemnly.

"Bain," Tilda cries. I wrap her in my arms, and she sobs into my chest. I stroke her hair and look out at the burning city. Smaug lands on the ground and starts talking to Bard.

I can't hear their conversation, and I don't particularly want to. Sigrid rests her head on my shoulder and sobs, and I put my arm around her. Fili looks over at me and our eyes lock.

"Let's get out of this God-forsaken city."

We row faster, and I look over at Smaug. He opens his mouth and Bard lets an arrow fly. Judging by its size and the fact that he's using Bain as a stand, I believe it's the black arrow. And that Bain brought it to him.

The arrow hits, and Smaug stumbles forward, roaring in agony. He smashes the side of the bell tower before taking off into the sky, roaring. He hovers for a moment before the fire distinguishes in his body, and Smaug falls from the sky.

"He did it. Bard did it!" Kili exclaims.

"I can't believe it!" Bofur cheers. I smile lightly and continue to comfort the girls, who could have possibly just lost their father and brother.