Chapter 43

We leave the city and reach a farther shore, safe from the fire. We push the boat onto land and watch all the survivors crying over their lost loved ones.

Sigrid and Tilda both yell for their father, and us dwarves start pushing a boat out onto the water. Tauriel watches us leave, and I run over to her.

"Nossa," Fili calls. "We're leaving."

"Tauriel, come with us. I know how I feel about you. I didn't really like Elves at first, but you're not like your kin. I feel a friendship between us," I say. "You could help the company if ever need be."

Tauriel smiles at me, but shakes her head.

"I feel the same friendship, but I can't go with you. They're your kin, and I do not feel right going to the mountain."

Tauriel turns and greets Legolas, and they have a small conversation in Elvish. Tauriel begins to walk away, but turns around one last time.

"Farewell, Nossa Stonehelm."

"Farewell, Tauriel."

She walks away with Legolas, and I turn around and get into the boat with my kin. We begin to sail away, and I look at the mountain ahead of us.

Finally, we shall see the kingdom of our forefathers.

We reach the shore closest to the mountain and we begin trekking over the hills. We take a small break, and Fili pulls me to the side.

"Nossa, we've known each other our whole lives. We've spent every waking moment together, and I can't even begin to explain how much I love you. I want to spend every moment with you for the rest of our lives. Nossa, will you marry me, amrâlimê?"

I cover my mouth and tears spring to my eyes. I nod and we embrace.

"Amrâlimê," I whisper. "I've been waiting for you to say that for years."

"I know I don't have a ring, but I can get you one in the mountain," Fili says.

"Fili, I don't need one. I'd take you over all the gold in Erebor," I reply.

We rejoin the group, and they look at me and Fili hand in hand.

"Meet my new fiancé," Fili says, grinning. Kili's face lights up, and he wraps his big brother in a hug.

"Good for you, man," he says. He then hugs me.

"I always knew you two were meant for each other."

I grin and we continue on our way to the mountain after hugs from Bofur and Oin. We reach the front doors, and we break into a sprint.

The entire front is smashed by the dragon, and Bofur starts calling out for his brothers.

"Hello? Bombur? Bifur?"

I look at the rubble that lies everywhere, and I pray that the others weren't killed by Smaug.

We start running down staircases, and I'm awed at Erebor's beauty. Bilbo's voice ringing out breaks my trance.

"Wait! Stop! Stop!"

"Bilbo!" I grin.

"You're alive!" Bofur says.

"You need to leave. We all need to leave," Bilbo pants.

"We only just got here," Bofur frowns.

"I've tried talking, but he won't listen," Bilbo says.

"What do you mean, laddie?" Oin asks.

"Thorin! Thorin. He's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep. He barely eats. He's not been himself. Not at all," the hobbit explains. "It's this place. I think a sickness lies upon it."

"Sickness?" Kili asks. "What kind of sickness?"

I look over at Fili, who's staring over Bilbo's shoulder.

"Fili?" I ask. He doesn't reply, just continues to stare. He starts walking down the stairs, and I follow him.

"Fili? Fili!" Bilbo yells. "Nossa! Come on!"

We start running down the stairs, and stop when we reach a platform about three stairways from the bottom floor.

That's when we see it. Massive mounds of gold fill the hall, and we stare in amazement.

Thorin stands among it, wearing the king's cloak. He doesn't seem the same, and I feel my chest constricting.

"Gold," Thorin whispers. "Gold beyond measure. Beyond sorrow and grief."

His voice doesn't sound the same, and the pit in my stomach grows deeper than it already was. His eyes are glazed over in a way. They aren't shining like they used to. He looks up at us, finally noticing our presence.

"Behold, the great treasure hoard of Thror," he says. He tosses something, and Fili catches it. It's a bright red ruby, and we stare at Thorin.

"Welcome, my sister's sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor," he says. I look over at Fili and Kili, concern clouding our eyes.