Chapter 48

The next morning, we stand at the top of the gate and stare at the thousands of Elves outside our door, all of them under a leader that wants to kill us.

Fantastic.

Thranduil, the Elven Lord, and Bard approach our gate on a stag and a white horse. Fili and Kili stand on either side of Thorin, and I remain beside Fili.

Thorin shoots an arrow at the stag's feet, causing it to stop abruptly. Thranduil looks up at him, one eyebrow raised.

"I will put the next one between your eyes," Thorin threatens. We all shout, and a smirk grows on the Elf king's face.

Simultaneously, all of the elves load their bows and draw them, aiming towards the mountain. Their coordination shocks me, and we all stop shouting at once, ducking behind the walls. Thorin stands still, but his mouth hangs slightly ajar.

The elves all put their arrows away and lower their bows in perfect harmony once again, and we slowly rise from where we were hiding.

"We have come to tell you that payment of your debt has been offered," Thranduil pauses. "And accepted."

"What payment?" Thorin demands. "I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

A sick feeling settles in my stomach. Bilbo wasn't here this morning when I was on watch. He returned when he thought I wasn't looking. And he has the Arkenstone.

I clutch to Fili's shoulder so I don't fall over, and he looks at me, concern in his eyes.

Thranduil looks to Bard, who pulls that exact stone out of his jacket.

"We have this," the bowman says. Thorin slowly lowers his bow, shock evident on his face.

"They have the Arkenstone," Kili exclaims. "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house!"

"That stone belongs to the king!" Fili yells.

"And the king may have it with our goodwill," Bard says, tossing the stone in the air before putting it into his jacket. "But first he must honour his word."

"They are taking us for fools," Thorin whispers. "This is a ruse. A filthy lie." He looks at the leaders of men and Elves.

"The Arkenstone is in this mountain!" he yells. "It is a trick!"

"It's no trick," says Bilbo. My heart falls, and I restrain from crying. "The stone is real. I gave it to them."

"You," Thorin growls.

"I took it as my 15th share," the hobbit mumbles.

"You would steal from me?" Thorin whispers, his voice filled with disbelief.

"Steal from you, no. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one," Bilbo says. "I'll let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim?" Thorin chuckles sarcastically. "Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!" The king throws his weapon on the ground and steps towards Bilbo.

"I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but..." the hobbit squeaks.

"But what, thief?" Thorin growls.

"You are changed, Thorin. The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word! Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!" Bilbo yells.

"Do not speak to me of loyalty," Thorin snarls. "Throw him from the rampart!"

Nobody moves. There's no way in Erebor we're throwing Bilbo off of the top of the gate. It would kill him for sure.

Thorin glares at us, waiting for us to act. But we don't.

"Do you not hear me?!" Thorin screams. He grabs Fili by the arm, but I pull him away. Suddenly, I feel a hand connect with my face and I sprawl to the ground. I look up at Thorin, who's hand is raised.

Fili tears himself from Thorin's grip, and him and Kili help me up. I'm holding my face and keeping the burning tears in the corners of my eyes back.

"I will do it myself! Curse you!" Thorin yells, grabbing Bilbo.

"No!" Fili yells, grabbing Thorin. Everyone starts restraining our king, holding him back from tossing Bilbo over the side.

"Thorin, stop it!" I yell, tears of pain and sorrow burning my eyes.

"Curse be the Wizard that forced you on this company!" Thorin screams.

"If you don't like my burglar, then please, don't damage him," the familiar voice of Gandalf calls out. I'm relieved to see him, and I almost start sobbing. "Return him to me!"

Thorin stares at the Wizard, his hands still clutching Bilbo over the edge.

"You're not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?" Gandalf asks. Thorin shoves Bilbo away, and Bofur and I help him away.

"Go Bilbo. Be safe," I whisper. Bilbo looks at us one last time before climbing down the rope that leads out.

"Never again will I have dealings with Wizards!" Thorin yells. "Or Shire rats!"

"Are we resolved?" Bard asks. "The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised? Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?"

Thorin glares at him, a fire in his eyes that I have never seen before. I bury my face in Fili's shoulder, and Kili holds my shoulder while his brother strokes my hair.

A raven lands on the gate and Thorin looks at it before looking back to the bowman.

"I will have war."

A/N: Picture is of Fili and Nossa. The only difference is that Nossa would not be wearing a dress.