𝟬𝟰. 𝗠𝗘𝗘𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗦

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥:        𝗠𝗘𝗘𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗦

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"I'M HOPELESS."

Those were the words Stephen expressed after failing to cast the spell for the thirtieth time that day. Three weeks had passed ever since they have taught him and the others the basic spell they needed to master and Kamar-Taj's new student was frustrated that he wasn't performing very well.

Their practice session was only supposed to last for a week, but because there were other novice and intermediate students that didn't successfully summon a mandala, they all decided to extend the exercise. For the past few days, Cassandra took it upon herself to personally monitor his practice. She watched him perform the spell several times, but he always failed. No Tao Mandala appeared in the air even though he perfectly executed the gestures.

The brunette munched on her apple, raising it in the air to admire it. The fruit had a gold star radiating from the stem, gently blending with that colour as vibrant as her red lipstick. It rested there, in the nest of her fingers, giving a calming coolness upon her palm - solid enough to be noticed, light enough to stay there. It was the prettiest juice container she'd ever seen and delicious to the core.

"No, you're not. You're just being dramatic." Cassandra took another bite of her apple just as she threw a crumpled paper ball at the back of Stephen's head. She then glanced at the bin full of paper balls, checking if it was empty so she could refill it. She shrugged when she discovered when it was still halfway full.

One thing she had noticed about Stephen was that his reactions are sometimes over the top. He was impatient too, expecting quick results over everything. He even questioned her earlier why he wasn't able to cast the spell if it was basic which led them to have their very first argument.

But, she understood why he was acting like that. Stephen was an overachiever. He was always on top of everything. Failure wasn't an option for him. He will do everything to prevent himself from failing. That's why he was famous in academic circles because he loved achieving the impossible. He loved proving that he was the greatest among them all.

Now, in Cassandra's opinion, there's nothing wrong with being a high achiever. No one likes to fail, but if it happens, it should be taken as an opportunity to try again. It was one of the first lessons the Ancient One taught her. That she shouldn't be afraid to fail and try again.

Stephen's prominent fear of failure and loss was what was keeping him from succeeding to perform magic.

He needed to understand that he cannot influence everything in life no matter how hard he tried, and that some things are not in his power.