Edge of Disaster (Part 1)

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from how to train your dragon

Chapter 22: Edge of Disaster (Part 1)

"I could stay up here all day." Astrid sighed as she laid back on her saddle with Stormfly gliding through the clouds. She then sat up. "But, we have work to do, don't we, girl?"

On that cue Stormfly picked up her speed and flew to cover the perimeters of the Edge. Satisfied, with the results, Astrid and Stormfly then head to the watchtower for their shift.

Currently Ruffnut and Tuffnut were the ones at the watchtower. "Hey! Guys! You are officially relieved from guard duty!" Astrid announced as soon as they reached. "Guys!" It seemed that the blonde twins weren't paying attention to her at all. "Stormfly, get me in close, would you?" The blue Nadder descended onto the landing pad of the watchtower.

Astrid got off the saddle. "Why do we have to go through this every single..." Upon closer inspection, she quickly realised why the twins weren't responding, they were actual dummies in the watchtower, wearing Ruff and Tuffs helmets. "Are you kidding me?"

She grabbed the two dummies and went to report this to the Haddock twins. She only found Hiccup and started explaining to him what happened.

"They didn't stand their watch, Hiccup. Those dummies left two dummies in their place." Astrid said, holding up the two dummies.

"You know, those dummies could conceivably be just as effective as the twins." Hiccup said thoughtfully.

Raeda, who was nearby overheard this conversation. "With less explosions." She added.

Astrid was not amused. "Not funny. We built that watchtower so that-"

"I know why we built it, Astrid." Hiccup interrupted.

The fact that Hiccup was too nonchalant about this unnerved Astrid. "I just don't understand how this isn't making you completely insane."

"Because, then there'd be two crazy people in this conversation and we probably wouldn't resolve anything." Hiccup said.

"Yeah, that never works for the Thorston twins." Raeda added.

Astrid was surprised to hear what Hiccup was implying. "Are you saying I'm-"

"Astrid, let me and Hicca talk to the Thorston twins. We'll get their side of the story, then we can figure out what we need to do." Hiccup reassured.

"I guess it's a start." Astrid sighed, still not feeling settled by the matter.

That's when Ruffnut and Tuffnut showed up on Barf and Belch. "Well, if it isn't our crack security team now." Astrid said sarcastically, throwing them the helmets that were on the dummies.

"Oh! Please, please, there's no need to shower us with accolades." Tuffnut said, putting his helmet back on

"Tuff, you left two dummies to protect this entire base. What were you thinking?"

As Astrid was saying that, a Terrible Terror flew to Hiccup with a note.

"Terror Mail. Hm." He said to himself.

Astrid and the twins were busy in their discussion to take notice.

"'Dummies,' you say?" Tuffnut repeated.

"She does. Poor confused thing." Ruffut said.

"What you failed to realize in your foggy morning state, is that those are not dummies. They are scareships." Tuff explained.

Astrid raised her eyebrows at them. "Scareships? You're serious?"

"You didn't see any ships near the island, did you? I think not. And why? They were appropriately scared away. By the appropriately named "scareships"." Tuff said.