Edge of Disaster (Part 2)

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

Chapter 23: Edge of Disaster (Part 2)

Previously on Race to the Edge

A distress call from Johann led to Hiccup, Hicca, Snotlout and Fishlegs to fly out with their dragons for a rescue mission. The remaining members of the Dragon Riders were divided due to a dispute between Astrid and Ruffnut. Later on, Raeda and Tuffnut stumbled upon Ruffnut getting kidnapped by Dragon Hunters. Upon discovering a fleet of Dragon Hunters ships near the Edge, it was a race against time for Astrid, Tuffnut and Raeda to prepare for an invasion.

Astrid stood at the edge of a cliff watching as four Dragon Hunter ships approached their island. This was it. This was what they spent the whole night preparing. All three of them have to be on their game because one mistake can lead to their demise.

She jumped off the boulder she was standing on and hid the Dragon Eye on the ground, covering it with rocks. "Just in case."

"Come on Astrid, my arms are starting to cramp." Tuffnut called, standing next to the ballista placed on one of the cliffs.

Raeda was at the ballista placed on the opposite side, her eyes watched the ships getting closer. She took a deep breath and glanced at the other ballista, her hands on the lever.

"Wait for it." Astrid instructed, keeping her eyes on the ships. "Now!"

In an instant, Tuffnut pulled the lever and his ballista launched a boulder right at one of the hunters' ships, sinking it. Astrid then sent a signal to Stormfly, who fired in the air above. As soon as she saw the signal, Raeda pulled her lever, firing a boulder into another hunter's ship with success.

She quickly signaled Sparkfire who picked her up and sent her to a catapult placed closer to the shores of the island but still on a higher ground.

Tuffnut, meanwhile, was celebrating. "Yes! Who kicks dragon hunter butt? Tuffnut kicks dragon hunter butt! Who kicks-"

"Let's not start kissing our own butts yet." Astrid said as she and Stormfly flew by.

"I didn't even know that was possible." Tuffnut said, looking at his own rear.

"This thing is far from over. Go!"

Tuffnut jumped off from his post, aiming for the zipline. He reached his target and grabbed onto the zipline, his weight and fall pulling himself down to the other end of the post. There at the post was a catapult similar to the one Rae was currently stationed at. He got off and stopped himself right at the edge of the cliff, where he was an inch away from falling.

He recovered and ran to the catapult that has a boulder covered with Monstrous Nightmare gel. Next to the catapult was a lit torch.

"Get ready Tuffnut!" Raeda yelled from her post. The boulder on her catapult was already on fire.

Tuffnut grabbed the torch. "Monstrous Nightmare gel plus open flame equals-" He lit the boulder on fire and launched at the same time Raeda did. Both boulders met their targets, sinking the two remaining ships.

"Fun for all! Well, not all Just for me, actually." That's when Stormfly swooped in and grabbed Tuff by her claws.

Rae got on Sparkfire and joined them. "Hey, Astrid, I was thinking, you know what would be great?" Tuffnut called.

"If we stuck with what seems to be working really well?" Astrid replied rhetorically.

"Uh, no. That wasn't it at all. I was thinking-"