CHAPTER XVII: a reminder

═════════════

◦♔ TW : mentions of anxiety, alcohol, and abuse/bruises.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾

•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾

☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

✵ ✵ ✵

DELORES HURRIEDLY GATHERED her things, ready to flee at any moment. she was absolutely sick and tired of her husband. she couldn't take leonard's alcohol addiction and the abuse any longer. she felt her mascara running as hot tears silently fell down her face, not even fully thinking through the consequences of abandoning her kids.

she knew she shouldn't be thinking of herself the entire time, but delores ended up panicking for her own life instead, not even having a shred of empathy for anyone else. once she was done, she snuck by the hallways, avoiding leonard, who was still trying to finish a bottle of chardonnay.

when she reached the front door of the house, grabbing onto the doorknob with eagerness, there was another presence that came into the room. "mommy?" delores paused, stiffening up upon hearing the voice of her son. she turned her head down to see a very young terrence, barely hitting the second grade, standing in the hallway, watching her in the darkness.

delores let her grip down from the doorknob, her eyes getting glossier the more she stared at her own son. "i-is dad gonna hit us again?" terrence let out, his voice shaky and fearful. those words made delores' heart throb, second thoughts and anxiety starting to rise from her stomach.

"honey.. you'll... you'll be okay without me." she muttered out, loud enough to shoot through the air and into terrence's ears. he frowned, pouting at his mother. "but mommy, why are you going?" delores couldn't even muster words to answer, deciding to quickly turn away and open the door, stepping outside.

"w-wait! MOMMY! TAKE ME WITH YOU!" terrence screamed out, leaping forward with as much exhilaration as possible. it seemed to happen in the blink of an eye, the front door slamming shut and locking in terrence's face. "NO! MOMMY!" he was left to cry and claw at the door, wondering what it would be like if he finally escaped the alcohol-scented house, and the grip of his father's abuse that made him feel more dejected and hollow as the days went on.

✵ ✵ ✵

KING SHOT UP from his bed, sitting up in the darkness of his bedroom. he gripped at his bedsheets in an attempt to grip on reality, realizing that he was hyperventilating. he took the time to pause, slowing down his breathing and fastened heart beat. he looked around his bedroom and realized that it was just a dream.. well.. at least a dream of his past memory.