quatorze

17th october, 1895

a vampire named victoria came by a few days ago, she had such striking orange-red hair, i couldn't miss it from a mile away. she came by to ask me about my scent, and why i didn't have one. she seemed like one of the nicer vampires, so i told her a few things.

the few things turned into most things, i wondered why i told her so much. could she use it against me? i don't see why though, i couldn't sense anything bad coming from her, only curiosity. the woman was the first supernatural being to ask me of my powers - much to my shock. i have lived on this planet for far too long - i've had enough with not finding my true one.

i'm sick of it, my mother told me she found my dad so early in her adult life, i've waited almost a century now. mother keeps visiting me to see if i've found him yet, she seems bothered by my lack of progress.

i had to try somewhere else now, meaning i had to say goodbye to victoria. she was pained, i was worried i had hurt her too much. i was moving to europe, i offered her to stay with me for a bit, but she declined, she wanted to stay with her coven. i didn't want to say goodbye to the vampire, but, i had to find him.

-v

"is that how she got my mother's diary? they were former friends," sequoia said to herself. she thought maybe victoria would be mad at her mother for leaving her - she seems the type to do that.

the witch scanned other entries, looking for anything interesting that she might have missed previously. she flicked through, nothing more on victoria, and nothing more on herself. although one towards the end did catch her eye. the starting paragraph was a little hard to read, sequoia could only make out certain words.

1st february, 1982

it pains me...the poor...shocked...yes, this breaks the tradition, but they've been talking to me, saying it'll all make sense in the future...well how am i supposed to know that? i'll be gone by then. i hope he...why did i never find...

"hey sequoia!" alice chirped, inviting herself in the house, "oh, what are you reading?"

"alice? what are you doing here? bella left with edward a while back." sequoia jumped slightly at the vampire's barging in, "it's nothing important."

"i'm not here for her, i wanted to ask you something," the vampire walked closer to the girl, making her put the journal away.

"yes?"

"you said before you haven't fought against a vampire, this could be your chance," alice tried to persuade the witch. she had been trying for a while, the vampire wanted sequoia to train with them to fight against some newborn army.

"no, alice, i'm not going to fight."

"we need you fleur, please," she had grabbed sequoia's hands and placed them in hers, "for our sake."

"i'm not fighting, that's my final decision."

"don't you want to get rid of victoria? then you won't need to protect bella anymore."

the blonde girl took her hands out of the vampire's, "she'll find a way to get herself into a bad situation - victoria or not."

"i need to go, but we'll be in the forest if you decide to join." and with one last look, alice sprinted off, disappointed in the girl's decision.

-

"you're not coming with us?" a boy asked, his jaw clenched with anger.

a red-haired woman paces towards him, slowly crafting every step.

"it'll be a last minute decision," she whispered, "i told you how it works."

"the cullens have powers," the boy stared at the girl with his similar red-coloured eyes.

"don't underestimate them riley," victoria stated, "you'll have the numbers, but they'll be able to anticipate your every move." she kept her voice hushed, discrete.

"according to your friend?"

"yes, my dead friend," the two vampire's faces were nearly touching as the woman spat out her words, "laurent found out about the things they could do and they killed him, but not before he told me."

"maybe he was wrong," riley stopped, "i mean, this is supposed to be cullen territory. we've been tearing it up and i've never even seen them here.

the boy had walked behind the woman, looking at her neck. he grasped her curly hair, pushing it aside to uncover anything hidden.

"you don't trust me," victoria whispered, her eyes dropped with sadness.

"with my life, i'm just saying-"

"i'm doing this for us," the woman turned around, meeting with the boy behind her, "so we can feed without their retaliation." she shook her head, gently placing a hand on the other's neck, "i can't live in fear anymore waiting for them to attack."

"i won't let them," he growled, baring his teeth to show his aggression. "i'm going to end the cullen clan, i swear," each word became darker, more assertive and quieter.

victoria placed her hand on his neck again, pulling him in for a small peck. as they pulled away they stared into each other's eyes, before going in again for a much deeper, rougher kiss.

"i love you, so much," the redhead whispered, before continuing.

-

sequoia felt a bit of sadness creep upon her. the vision was unexpected, she hadn't seen victoria since her last visit, and hadn't had a vision of her in months.

had she finally found her mate?

maybe sequoia felt a bit jealous, in all honesty, she did miss the vampire's surprise visits. it couldn't happen though, the cullens and wolves took shifts to watch over charlie. it was horrible for the witch, she missed the privacy and the somewhat pleasant smell. having some wet dog scent while she tried to sleep didn't help at all.

but why would it matter if victoria had found her mate? she didn't mean anything to the witch? so why did she feel this way? after all, even if sequoia stopped protecting bella, victoria was still the enemy. she could hurt one of her other friends, alice, rosalie.

the newborn army would be the issue for them, as the redhead would be after her sister. but how would the witch be able to help? be a decoy? that seems like a recipe for disaster. throwing herself out there with no knowledge of how her body would react to damage wouldn't end well.

-

1986

dear vespera,

i'm a little disappointed that you left. you said you went to switzerland, but i think you may have forgotten i can't follow your scent. i miss you. when i first met you, i hadn't talked to another vampire since my previous coven was killed by the volturi. you brought me out of my hiding and allowed me to join a new coven, i'm happier now, thank you so much.

speaking of the volturi, they announced your pregnancy. i hope you didn't tell them, but congratulations. i wish you the best, and thank you for everything you did for me.

victoria

"i think i missed a few chapters," sequoia was shocked with the new discovery and the jump in dates. she had found the note slipped into one of the pages, still in pristine condition.

i wonder if she got back to her before she died.

from what she read, they didn't see each other for over a century, yet victoria still bothered to write to her.

does her kindness to me have something to do with mother?