vingt-quatre

"victoria?" sequoia asked, looking towards the redhead scanning the daily newspaper.

"yes? is everything alright?" she walked over to the witch, resting her head on the blonde's shoulder.

"there's no need to worry about me all the time," the girl smiled, "i just wanted to ask about my mother, you were friends with her?"

"indeed, you look so much like her, could even pass as her - if someone didn't know you existed," victoria wrapped her arms around sequoia's waist. "what would you like to know?"

the witch led the two towards the couch, not wanting to exert too much energy just standing up, "everything. what was she like? what did she do? why did you allow her to become friends with you? why-"

the vampire held a finger up to her lips, signalling to the talkative girl to be quiet, "it's quite insulting that you think i'm so heartless."

"sorry."

"but to answer that question, i concluded after her death that she was a platonic soulmate, i regret leaving her for james."

"hadn't you known of james for a while before meeting her?" sequoia asked, completely focused on the words coming out of the woman's mouth.

"yes, it was the reason why i left, i didn't want to become a nomad, it scared me to be alone." victoria took a deep breath, completely unnecessary, seeing her current situation. "but i suppose i couldn't avoid the vampire-witch duo."

the witch put a hand on her heart, expressing a fake hurtful look, "you don't want to be with me?"

"shut up, if i didn't know any better, i'd think you learnt your sarcastic nature from your mother."

"that's what you get when i spend two long years with bella," sequoia grinned, lightly punching the vampire on the shoulder, making sure not to hurt herself - the last thing she'd want is to end up like her sister.

she remembered the birthday present given to her on her nineteenth birthday, "the diary, why'd you give it to me?"

"it was a request of vespera. it appeared at the front door of the house i was staying in, it had a note on it saying to 'give the diary to my daughter after she has fully grown'.

sequoia frowned, "did she know what was meant to be of us?"

"i wouldn't put it past her, you're kind has extraordinary powers, a vision of her daughter is nothing."

"what about the volturi? you said they were the ones to announce the pregnancy - what was her relationship with them?"

"they liked her," victoria simply said, but the blonde urged the woman to continue, not satisfied with the information. "i'm not sure if it was true, or they just wanted to gain her trust for any future needs. maybe they wanted to expose everything out of her, aro wouldn't have been happy at her shield."

"aro?"

"he's one of the kings, he can read your every thought you've ever had with one touch."

"so he just wanted to know everything about my mother?"

the redhead thought about her answer for a bit longer than usual, "i'm not sure, but i do know that you drain my social energy way too quickly. come with me, let's go for a walk."

"my apologies ma'am," sequoia mimicked victoria from a previous conversation with her. she grabbed the outstretched hand, the impact sending goosebumps up her arm.

-

alice stood still in the middle of the lounge room, frozen-like. jasper had run-up to her almost immediately after he noticed, looking at the vampire with worried eyes.