Strange Mates - Chapter 5

A/N: This is another short chapter, but it's necessary....so enjoy :D Dannii xx

Chapter 5

* 2 Weeks Later *

Harley’s P.O.V

I yawned and stretched, smiling as I felt Zylen’s warm body snuggled against mine. He looked so cute when he slept. I grinned before jabbing him in the ribs to wake him. Evil I know, but hey he was used to it by now. How you ask? Let me explain… 2 weeks ago, I found out Zylen was my mate, and suddenly my feelings towards the guy I hardly knew made sense. So on this day 2 weeks ago, I was talking to Zylen about mates, before he told me I was his…then it kind of went from there, he marked me and I ended up leaving my poor mother and moving in with him and his pack. My mother wasn’t too upset. I knew it was because she was hoping living among wolf shifters would help keep my panther calm and under control. I know she’s been worrying about that ever since I first shifted and disowned my father. I shivered involuntarily at the thought. ‘Its in the past now’ I scolded myself. Anyway as I was saying, so I moved here and everyone was really welcoming, hell Zylen’s mother was practically planning our wedding! And it turned out Kalix was a wolf…which totally explained so much. So now she was a lot more like the sister I never had then just the friend I thought she was. I grinned. Sorry I meant wife/sister. Yeah we have a strange relationship…sue us! So yeah I’ve settled in round here, Zylen’s very protective of me, and it irritates me sometimes, but its cute he cares so much. Anyway that’s the update.

Smiling I try and take Zylen’s arms from around my body so I could escape. I was just about to rise when an arm wrapped back around me, pulling me back onto the bed. “And where are you going?” Zylen whispered while kissing my forehead. “I was trying to go pee if you must know” I said. “Why would you want to do that when you can stay here with me?” he said teasingly, kissing my neck where his mark lay. A delicate tattoo of a brown wolf howling to a moon, surrounded by wolves with the moon containing violet eyes that shone. This was encased with gold swirls, that ran up my neck in delicate swirls and down my shoulder in the same fashion. I loved it. Shuddering as he continued to kiss my neck I almost forgot why I was getting up…almost. “Zylen! Behave I need to pee!” I said, trying to remove him from me. He was persistent I’ll give him that. Finally after some shoving, he let me go and I let out a sigh of relief and quickly dashed off to the bathroom. 

Returning, I found that Zylen was no longer there. This didn’t surprise me, afterall he was now the Alpha of the Golden Valley pack. This happened a week ago when his father gave up his position in order to let his son lead. Apparently now he had his mate, he was strong enough to lead, whatever that meant. I didn’t understand wolf laws, then again being a panther, that wasn't surprising.  I decided to take a shower before I dressed in a white vest, black skinnies and white converse. I left my hair to dry naturally, and it feel in wet waves down my back. I found Kalix downstairs in the kitchen and I smiled at her as I entered. “Hello my dear wife” she greeted grinning, before shoving a cup of hot chocolate towards me. I grinned and licked my lips. Oh how I love my hot chocolate I thought as I took a sip, burning my tongue in the process. “Hey Kalix!” I said after sticking my tongue out like a weirdo for a few minutes to cool it back down. “Have you seen Zylen?” I asked her softly. “He left about 10 minutes ago” she said simply. Before munching on a bagel. ‘Gah I don’t know how she eats them things’ I thought to myself as I carried on drinking. “Okay, well I’m going to go see my mother then” I said, before putting down my now empty cup and getting ready to leave. “Want me to come with?” she asked. “Erm…no I think I’ll go alone this time” I said and watched as her face fell. Kalix and my mother had been fond of each other ever since they met, the day I went to get my stuff, now she took up any opportunity she could to see my mother. I felt guilty as I watched her sulk off towards the living room, but I needed some alone time with my mother. “Guess I’ll see you later then” Kalix sighed before disappearing. “Yeah, bye” I muttered, knowing she’d hear me. The joys of enhanced animal hearing. 

My mother lived at the opposite side of the town to Zylen, but she still lived quite out of town compared to the rest of the village. I always worried she was lonely, so I visited often. It was rather quiet today as I headed into the town. ‘I wonder where everyone is’ I thought as I passed yet another empty shop. Shrugging I carried on. Towards my mothers in a field I heard screaming and laughing, looking over I spotted a carnival. Well that explains where the town is I thought to myself as I continued on. 

Just before I got to my mother’s I froze, something didn’t seem right. Stopping I listened in and I could hear voices, infact the voices sounded strangely like Zylen and Jace. ‘It can’t really be them’ I thought. They don’t have a reason to be here, they should be attending to pack business. But the more I listened the more it sounded like them. Confused I took hesitant steps forward, and rounded the last corner. Looking towards my mothers I spotted Zylen and Jace stood on her front lawn. ‘What are they doing’ I wondered as I carried on walking. Just then I smelt it. The metallic smell of blood. My heart stopped in my chest. ‘No’ I internally screamed. No my mother is fine I kept telling myself, but it was no good, my gut was telling me otherwise. I bolted towards my mothers. “Mother! Mum!” I screamed as I ran towards hers. “Harley! No, don’t go in there!” I heard Zylen shout, but I ignored him and bolted through the front door. “Mother! Where are you?” I shouted. The smell of blood was stronger in here, I wanted to throw up, I needed to find my mother, even though my gut told me that I wasn’t going to like it when I found her. I shivered and forced myself onwards. “Mother?” I said more softly this time. “Harley, don’t go any further…come on, back outside” Zylen said softly, turning me back towards the door. I glared at him. “Get off me!” I screamed in his face, before running towards the kitchen. 

The smell in the kitchen was repulsive and I gypped, swallowing hard to stop from throwing up. Looking around, there was blood everywhere, covering all the kitchen sides and the white tilled floors were now a bright crimson. I shuddered. Turning towards where the back door is I let out a blood curdling scream. There laid at the back door was my poor mother. She looked like she’d been mauled to death by some sort of animal. Her delicate skin no longer covered most of her body and some limbs were no longer connected. Her face was one of terror. I ran over and knelt beside her sobbing. ‘How could this have happened?’ I thought as I sobbed. I felt arms wrap around my waist and the tingles told me it was Zylen. Suddenly I was angry. “How could you let this happen! You promised, you promised you’d keep her safe!” I screamed at him while repeatedly punching his chest. “This is all your fault!! She’s dead because of you!” I screamed. I knew this wasn’t fair on him, but I couldn’t help it. He’d promised to keep my mother safe after I moved out, and now she’s dead. “I hate you” I screamed as I continued to punch his chest and he continued to let me. I threw another look at my poor dead mother and sobbed again into Zylen’s chest as he rubbed my back. “Get off me!” I screamed trying to get away but he held me tight. “Let go!!” I yelled as everything started to go black. “You killed my mother, I hate you!” I whispered before my world went black and I collapsed…