Strange Mates - Chapter 24

A/N: Thank youuu sooo much for all the votes and comments!!! Really appreciate it!!!

So here is the next chapter...Enjoy!! xxx

Chapter 24

Layla’s P.O.V

Well I was fully mated now and I couldn’t be happier. I hadn’t come here looking for a mate. Hell I hadn’t even known what mates were. But to me everything felt right. Like accepting Jace as my mate had somehow filled an empty void in me I hadn’t even realised existed. Sighing happily I left the room. Jace wasn’t here. As much as this saddened me I understood. As Beta of the pack he had responsibilities and I would be damned if I was going to cause him to neglect those. No I decided that I would spend the day getting to know my sister properly. Afterall we hadn’t really had a minute to ourselves. What with my near death experience and her kidnapping things had been hectic. Now things had settled down again, well as much as they could when you live with shifters, I decided now was as good a time as any to get to know my darling sister. Heading into the kitchen I found Harley with her head in the fridge. This made me laugh. “Are you lost in there sis!” I said laughing. I heard her giggle as she turned around. “Nope I think I know my way around that fridge with me eyes closed” she said giggling. I laughed. “Anyway less about my fridge raiding abilities, how are you Layla!” she asked. I smiled. “I’m fine thanks Harls! You?” I asked her. “You know, just dandy and all” she said pouring herself a glass of Dr pepper. I laughed. “That’s a great answer!” I said. “I thought so. Real imaginative” she said laughing. “Obviously!” I said exaggeratedly causing us both to burst into fits of giggles. “So sis, what can I do for you?” she asked. And suddenly I wasn’t sure what to say. “Erm…well…do I need a reason to come chill with my sister?” I asked curiously. “Of course not!” she said engulfing me in a hug and ruffling my hair. “I mean I’m just such great company, why wouldn’t you want to see me” she said laughing and I couldn’t help but laugh with her. I knew this is what my childhood had been missing. Someone to share my life with. Actually just a family in general. It was amazing how much a pack and my sister felt more like my family than the people who were actually my parents. “Erm Harls…if were twins…” I said not sure how to ask what was on my mind. It was the one question I feared the answer to and for that reason hadn’t had to guts to ask her yet. “Yes?” she said questioningly. “If were twins…that means we had the same parents. But whose parents were our real ones?” I asked her, biting my lip nervously not sure how she would respond. I watched her and noticed how she nibbled on her lip the same as she thought about my question. “Hmm…good point! We shall have to find this out! Come on…” she said dragging me along. I stumbled slightly but I felt her catch me from falling flat on my face. I was so not co-ordinated. “Wife! Where are you going without me?” Kalix asked Harley and I looked between them confused. Why had Kalix just called Harley wife. They weren’t married, were they?. I was so confused. “Now now wife. Why so nosy” Harley replied shaking her head in mock disappointment. “I’m your wife. It’s my job to be nosy” Kalix said giggling. “Ok. Fair point. I’m just heading the library with Layla!” Harley said happily and I watched as Kalix’s gaze flicked between us. “Oh I see” she simply said. “You can come with if you want” Harley said oblivious to the sudden tension in the room as Kalix shot me a disgusted look. I guess she thought I’d stolen Harley from her. But what did she expect? I was her sister after all! “No no. Wouldn’t want to intrude” Kalix said sadly before turning and leaving. “Oh okay. Bye Kalix” Harley shouted after her. I watched as Harley’s face dropped with Kalix’s refusal to drop. It was clear she wasn’t use to Kalix being that way. I kind of felt sorry for my sister. She didn’t deserve that. We all could do with getting along, but I wasn’t having Kalix being jealous about my growing relationship with Harley. Determined not to let the exchange bother me I followed behind Harley. She seemed less perky now and this upset me slightly. I knew I was being slightly jealous by getting upset because my sister was upset because her friend had rejected her. But I couldn’t help it. Kalix had already had the chance to form that sister bond with my sister. A bond I had been denied for years. Sighing softly I followed Harley’s retreating form and hoped that the searching for our real parents would bring us together once more. I hated fighting and conflict. I had already been through enough of that in my old life. I didn’t need it from family in this one.