Why Him?

3rd POV:

Ever since Jeanne learned about Duncan and Zarathos, a question lingered inside her head, so today she decided to look for Duncan.

Heading to his office, Jeanne opened the door only to see Duncan looking through some papers, but his eyes were an orange color instead of blue.

Jeanne: "Duncan, can we talk?"

Duncan(Z): "Ah, sorry Jeanne, if you are looking for Duncan, he is sleeping at the moment."

Jeanne: "Huh? Z-zarathos?"

Duncan(Z): "Indeed."

Jeanne: "But, why are you?"

Duncan(Z): "It's quite funny actually, last night Duncan was out hunting for sinners and demons, he barely got home in the morning, only to find Medusa and Morgan pretty much demanding of Duncan to take a break, but he still had some paperwork to do, so i decided to to it for him."

Jeanne: "Guess is better that way."

Duncan(Z): "Something the matter?"

Jeanne: "Actually, i wanted to ask this for a while... why Duncan? Why he became your host?"

Hearing this Zarathos contemplated if he could tell her. Jeanne finally could see Zarathos display some emotions because he was possessing Duncan at the moment, she saw hesitation, regret, sadness.

Duncan(Z): "... the man that has the guts to sell his soul for love... has the power to change the world..."

Jeanne: "W-what are you saying?"

Duncan(Z): "... Jeanne you better sit down for this... and... whatever you hear... don't think or act around Duncan different from how you are now."

Jeanne did as Zarathos asked and took a seat, she was sitting across his desk. Jeanne got a bad feeling that she wouldn't like what she would hear.

Duncan(Z): "I guess i should start... Jeanne what do you think of Duncan's parents and sister, do you think they were born with those abilities of theirs?"

Jeanne: "I-i mean... yeah, they should have, but why bring them into this?"

Duncan(Z): "Because with them started everything... to tell you the truth... Duncan, Ashley, Derek and Elaine, were just normal civilians... they had no idea about the mages, Heroic Spirits, Grail, demons and angels..."

Jeanne: "But how come? They do seem to have the knowledge about them, but..."

Duncan(Z): "Well... this is the hard part... Derek and Elaine were killed, and Ashley was about to die a few years ago."

Jeanne: "WHAT?! But they are here! Alive!"

Duncan(Z): "Calm down Jeanne... Duncan had a decision to make... the hardest decision... in the night at the hospital were Ashley was waiting to die... Duncan made a deal... the deal he made saved Ashley, but doomed his afterlife..."

Jeanne: "J-just what kind of deal is that?!"

Duncan(Z): "A deal... with The Devil... Ashley is gonna be saved, but Duncan wil have his soul bonded with mine, becoming the new Ghost Rider..."

Jeanne: "T-this... can't be real...Duncan had...but if your souls are bonded you..."

Duncan(Z): "Duncan... had to take all my memories from my time in Hell... it broke him down, mentaly and physically... at that time i was still a mindless beast... it was hard for him."

Jeanne: "D-dear... Lord why?!... What about Derek and Elaine, how are they alive?"

Duncan(Z):*eyes flicker red* "Two giant pains in the ass... during the Holy Grail War, brought their bodies back to life to fight against Duncan and Ashley, but Duncan managed to defeat them... seeing that they have no souls Duncan was gonna put their bodies to rest...luckily Lucifer had an idea to bring their souls from Heaven into their revived bodies, but that plan had a major flaw..."

Jeanne:*tears in her eyes* "How can be someone so cruel?!... Wait you said the plan had a... flaw?"

Duncan(Z): "Duncan and i can go to Heaven, but if we set foot through the gates... we will die... at that moment Gabriel made her presence known and brought their souls."

Jeanne: "B-but... this isn't fair... how?! You said Duncan sold his soul for love! You are an angel! Then why?!"

Duncan(Z): "Once bonded with a Spirit of Vengeance, you are forever a Ghost Rider... the denizens of Heaven sees us nothing more then their dirty workers and our hosts demon worshipers..."

Jeanne: "Then that means... when Duncan is gonna pass on... he won't be able to see his family ever again... he will be stuck..."

Duncan(Z): "... he will be stuck in Hell..."

Jeanne: "... i-i think i got my answers... and more..."

Jeanne was about to open the door.

Duncan(Z): "Jeanne please... don't think of Duncan any different... this moments around you all, are his happiest he had in years."

MINI TIMESKIP:

Duncan finally woke up and left his office.

Duncan: "Strange... this report say that they witnesed a little blonde girl in a dress and... tentacles within a forest not far from here."

Zarathos: 'I marked anything that seems out of place.'

Duncan: "Thanks partner, gotta say, it's nice to take a break from time to time."

Duncan went towards the kitchen to take a can of beer, he the proceeded to go to the living room, as he entered he saw Jeanne and Jalter actually getting along.

When Jeanne saw Duncan, she wasted no time to tackle him into a hug.

Jalter:*blushing* "HUH? THE HELL YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!"

Duncan: "Whoa! Jeanne, you okay?"

Jeanne: "Please... don't go..."

This chapter's meme: