I Like You But.... | part two

I wasn't gonna do one at first but it was highly requested so here ya go. This one is in first person.

[4 years later]

I can't believe I'm finally graduating college! Four years of hard work is finally paying off. I smoothed the bottom of my gown, and checked my hat in the mirror before exiting the bathroom in the large building. All of the other graduates were lining up so I was just in time. Quickly, I found my place and soon the processional song started and we all entered the auditorium filled with our closest friends and family. Although the place was huge, I was able to spot my parents, and my boyfriend, Jacob. When they noticed I saw them, they waved and gave me thumbs up while I grinned.

"Congratulations to the graduating class of 2018!" I took my tassel off, careful not to lose it, and threw my cap up with the rest of my class. The recessional song began and together all of the graduates exited in a line, the same way we came in.

"There's my girl!" I heard my dad calling from across the room. "Congratulations baby girl, we're so proud of you!" He beamed once I reached him.

"Thanks Dad," I smiled once I was released from his embrace. After I hugged my mom, Jacob swooped me up and gave me a big kiss. We took a few pictures and decided it was time to head out. I took off my gown, revealing my white sleeve-less A-line dress that came just above my knees. We were going to dinner with Leilani and her family-her school graduated today as well-and we wanted to make the reservations. My parents drove their car, while I rode with Jacob.

He and I have been dating for just about 4 months now, and he really makes me happy. He goes to the brother school of Spelman College, Morehouse. Yes, I know, that makes us the typical cliche Spelman girl-Morehouse boy couple but that doesn't matter to me. He reached over and grabbed my hand, rubbing his thumb on the back of it slightly. Soon enough we were pulling into the parking lot of the place and from what I could see, Leilani was already there.

"Lani!" We ran over to each other-as fast as I could run in these heels-and attacked each other in a bear hug. We were both talking a mile a minute at the same time, congratulating, complimenting each other's outfits, saying how much we missed each other, etc etc, when there was the sound of someone clearing their throat. I looked to my left to see Justin standing there with his hands in his pockets. He had on a very nice black suit, tailored to perfection, and a gold watch on his left wrist.

"Hey, [y/n].." He smiled a bit. "Congratulations on ya know, graduating..." I chuckled. Leilani walked off to give us some space.

"Thanks, J. Congratulations to you too." I smiled, although his wasn't for another few days and he nodded. After that night I admitted to liking him, for a while he kind of, teased me I guess? It wasn't malicious of anything, just small things like winking or always looking at me, stuff like that. It annoyed me a lot at first and one day I just got fed up and went off on him and he barely spoke to me at all after that. He was probably thinking I still wasn't too fond of him, but honestly that was 4 years ago and I'm over it.

"So, how are you? It's been quite a while.." He rocked back and forth slightly on his heels.

"Yeah, it has.." I laughed a little. "But I'm great, you?"

"I uh..." He kinda trailed off and his gaze shifted over my shoulder. I turned to see Jacob walking towards us.

"They're about to head in now," he said when he reached us, placing a hand on the small of my back.

"Oh okay.." Jacob eyed Justin for a second and I decided to speak up. "Uh this is Lani's twin, Justin." Jacob reached over to shake his hand. "And Justin, this is Jacob, my boyfriend." Justin's eyebrow raised slightly but he still went in to shake his hand. It was a little bit of an awkward silence and we stood there, then I reminded them why Jacob came over in the first place and we all walked over to the restaurant.