Chapter 13: The Dress

When things were settled after the contamination incident, bumalik sa pagiging tahimik ang apothecary. We focused back on our work, with me learning how to make basic wound medicines and Senior Rowena teaching me the fastest way to reverse different surface wounds and cuts.

The following day, Anabeth received a letter invitation in the apothecary's mailbox. Habang kumakain ng lunch sa hall, binasa niya ang nakasulat.

"Sa weekend na pala 'to," she showed me the card. "It's for little Vincent's third birthday."

"Sir Sebastian's son?" I asked.

Tumango-tango si Anabeth habang ngumunguya ng steamed vegetables na galing sa vegetables garden ni Senior Rowena where we harvested some carrots and potatoes this morning.

"Gusto mong sumama?"

I raised my hand, trying to tell her it's fine. "It's a family gathering. Baka makasagabal lang ako."

"Ano ka ba, Uncle Sebastian's family is very casual. Isa pa, since siya ang beta, siguradong may mga bisita siya. We could chill in the party since isang buong linggo na tayong nakakulong dito sa tower at nagt-trabaho. So what do you think?"

Sa huli, pumayag akong samahan si Anabeth. I never had social occasions where I attended as me. Most of them, I had to assist an owner, cater to their whims, and be reminded of my place.

Before weekend arrived, Anabeth checked on me. Pumasok siya sa kwarto habang nagaayos ako ng mga damit sa drawer, asking if I have something to wear for the birthday.

Napaisip ako sa kanyang tanong. I had the button down shirt and brown coat I wore when I visited the mansion. Yon ang mga pinaka-desente kong damit.

"How about a dress?" suggested Anabeth. "Do you have one?"

Pinakita ko siya kanya ang rust colored na dress na sinusuot ko sa trabaho.

"You wear it to work, Eleanor," she pointed out, hands on her hips. "How can you catch the eyes of hot guys out there if you wear ordinary clothes?"

I jerked my head, eyebrows creased together. "Why would I want to be caught?"

Anabeth burst our laughing. Minsan bigla nalang siyang mamamalo sa likod at tatawa nang malakas na maging ako nagugulat. "Oh, Eleanor, you're so adorable."

After our work that afternoon, Anabeth told me to go with her to downtown. "I know a place that sells gorgeous dresses. You should buy one for yourself."

"Pero hindi ko kailangan-"

"Hush," she cut me off, placing a hand on my arm as if she's a fairy godmother who's trying to calm me. "You need it. Those pastels and lace dresses with pretty embroideries and designs." She looks more excited than me.

We both took the bus circling the downtown. Hawak ni Anabeth ang braso ko habang naglalakad kami sa kalye na puno ng shops and newly baked pastries. She looks so happy being out early for work. Mabuti nalang at pinayagan kami ni Senior Violeta since it's our day-off tomorrow.

Anabeth pointed out several shops and the owners she's familiar with, and things she loved about them, specially the pastry shop and the one that sells materials for arts and crafts. It was Friday afternoon and the streets were quite busy with people, strolling and savoring the good weather.

Habang naglalakad, someone called Anabeth from the small cafe on the side of the street. "Kaibigan siya ni Mama. Baka may itatanong lang," she said to me.

Sinamahan ko siyang tumawid sa kabilang street at naghintay sa gilid habang kausap niya ang babaeng may-ari ng shop. Swaying lightly on the balls of my feet, I watched people on the street going on with their day.