Chapter 62: Goodbyes

My hands were shaking. I dropped the piece of paper on the floor, not knowing what to do. My mind suddenly went black with my back shivering cold as though I was being pulled back to the time when fear was the only thing tangible in my life, the only reason why my heart  beats fast.

I sat on the edge of my bed with my weakened knee. Nawalan ako ng lakas. Hindi ko magawang tumayo nang maayos. Ang buong akala ko nalampasan ko na ito... ang kontrata. The only reason why I never thought of leaving madame. Because I was bound to serve her for the  rest of my life.

But I thought she's rotting in jail? Ang buong akala ko hindi na niya  ako kailanman mahahawakan. I bit my nails unconsciously. Ano'ng gagawin ko?

With trembling hands, I run downstairs to one of the staff offices in the main building. I dialed a number on the phone I've memorized since I saw it in his office. Hindi ako mapalagay habang naghihintay na may sumagot ng tawag.

"Hello?"

"Kuya..." my voice trembled. "I... need your help."

--

On the same night, I waited for Alexander to arrive. I kept walking back and forth, unable to stay still. I told him I'll wait for him in the greenhouse. Hindi ko gustong pag-usapan ang bagay na ito sa main building.

No one in Van Zanth knew about this. And I was afraid that once they learned about this, that the alpha's mate is someone's slave, tuluyang magbabago ang tingin nila sa'kin.

Kinagat ko ang ibabang labi ko na pulang-pula at halos dumugo na. Umupo ako sa bench malapit sa lily pond, ngunit kalaunan ay muling tumayo.

Tahimik ang buong greenhouse. The smell of earth and green lingered in the air. The evening sky beyond the glass roof remained cast with thin sheets of clouds. Hindi ko magawang kumalma kahit alam kong kailangan ko.

Alexander finally arrived. He rushed inside the greenhouse at agad  akong hinanap. Once he saw me standing by the bench, he immediately approached me.

"Kuya..." I was trying to keep my voice stable, to hold back my tears.

Alexander was still catching his breath, with his hands planted over his bent knee. "May problema ba? Bakit bigla mo akong gustong makausap?"

I handed him the piece of paper with shaking hands. Tuluyang tumulo ang aking luha nang titigan niya ito. "I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I didn't know better when they forced me to sign it. I thought it was my only  way out of my previous owners."

Kinuha niya ang papel at binasa ang mga nakasulat. Unti-unti niyang naikuyom ang kanyang palad, crumpling the edges of the paper. Alexander let out a low curse.

"Where did you get this? Do you have this all along?"

Umiling ako habang patuloy ang pamumuo ng luha sa aking mga mata. "May nagpadala sa'kin nito. It was only a copy. Madame had the  original copy of the contract."

Kumunot ang kanyang noo sa galit. "Madame?"

"She was my owner before I came here in Van Zanth. Siya ang naka-engkwentro nila Zackary sa Fabrice. The woman behind one of  the largest hybrid trafficking group."

Muli akong umupo sa bench. My hands were cold and weak on my lap. "What should I do?" I mumbled, voice raw and breaking. "She still  have power over me."

"Sa huling pagkakatanda ko, nakakulong parin siya," Alexander stated with gritted teeth. "Kailangan kong malaman kung ano ang nangyari sa kanya sa Fabrice."

I raised my head to stare up at Alexander's face standing in front of me. "Masasaktan niya pa ba ako?" tanong ko. "Maaari niya ba akong makuhang muli?"

He stretched his fingers in both hands as though trying to exert control over his emotions. "Not in my watch. Hindi ko hahayaang may mangyaring masama sa'yo, Elea."