Chapter 49: White Room

After my conversation with Zackary, I finally made a decision to go to the event this coming weekend. The first person I've told about it was Anabeth.

I knew she was proud of the decision I came up with, pero hindi maitatago ang pag-alala sa kanyang mukha. She was aware of what  relied on this decision.

I've encountered a lot of things that terrified me... but this might be the biggest one yet. Because I know this time, there are other people that  are gonna be affected.

But is it wrong to choose myself now?

I spent my time in the tower that afternoon, while Anabeth and the other staff were out foraging. Hindi pa ako pinapayagang bumalik sa pagt-trabaho, so I only went to the tower to clean my working area after more than a month of being away.

Habang nag-aayos ng gamit, muli kong nasilayan ang isa sa mga notebook na naging record ng unang mga buwan ko bilang staff sa apothecary. I remembered how lost and anxious I was back then about starting over in Van Zanth.

Binuksan ko ito at binasa ang ilang pahina. My first foraging with Anabeth. The first time I've met Zanra in the mansion. And the time I was instructed to go to the mansion to treat Zackary's injuries.

Sir Zackary. Mr. Van Zanth. The future alpha. Those were the words  I've used while writing about Zackary. I had no idea back then that we would reach this kind of relationship.

I placed my hand over my chest, feeling the beating of my heart just by thinking about him. This is silly. I just saw him the other night... and  yet, I wanted to see him again. Is it normal to feel the ache to see and be with him?

Napailing ako sa naisip. What am I thinking? Since I woke up in the hospital after the village incident, it felt like my thoughts only settle  down when Zackary's with me.

Ilang katok sa pintuan ang pumukay sa aking iniisip. "Ms. Eleanor?"

One of the apothecary staff opened the door and told me someone was outside, looking for me. A visitor? Kinuha ko agad ang coat ko na nakasabit sa likod ng pintuan at nagtungo sa labas.

Isang tao ang nakatayo at naghihintay sa tapat ng main door ng tower. A tall old man whose face I recognized. The one who was looking for Rebecca during the party at the Van Zanth mansion.

Hindi agad ako nakalapit sa kanya. Pangamba ang bumalot sa aking dibdib. What is a staff of the council member doing here in the apothecary?

"Can I help you?" tanong ko nang sa wakas ay magkalakas loob akon lumapit.

"Ms. Eleanor?"

"Yes." My voice faltered a little.

He motioned his hand to the waiting car at the driveway. "You are  invited by Sir Philip to the Maven residence," he stated with lack of emotion.

Nagtungo siya sa sasakyan at binuksan ang isa sa mga pintuan para  sa'kin. Pero hindi ako gumalaw sa aking kinatatayuan. The name he mentioned. Sir Philip... is that the name of the council member? Rebecca's grandfather?

"Maaari ko bang malaman kung bakit?"

"I was instructed to pick you up for a conversation with the Sir. He is expecting you at his residence."

Pinilit kong maging kalmado, pero unti-unti itong naglalaho. Dahil  isang bagay ang malinaw sa'kin. No one can refuse invitations from council members. Kahit ang mga Van Zanth ay biglang nagtutungo sa Fabrice sa mga sitwasyong tulad nito. Wala akong karapatang sumalungat.