Chapter 21: Fire

Chapter 21: Fire

Sumulyap ako sa driver's seat kung saan tahimik na nagmamaneho si Zackary. He didn't say a word since we left the Winslow mansion. Mukhang galit siya.

"May ginawa ba akong mali?" tahimik kong tanong.

The car slowed down and stopped at the side of the road where branches of towering trees meet each other, creating a natural tunnel. Tuluyang humarap sa'kin si Zackary. "Why would you think that?"

I stared down at my hands fiddling in my lap. "You seem mad," I whispered.

Humugot ng malalim na hininga si Zackary, saka sumandal sa upuan at tumingala. "I'm not mad at you, Eleanor. I'm mad at myself for losing control."

Losing control?

"I promise not to scare you, rush you, or meddle with your job. But I couldn't help it."

Tinitigan ko si Zackary, ang bahagyang kunot sa kanyang noo, the way his chest heaves whenever he sighs.

"Zack..." I whispered. "Why are you so nice to me?" I lowered my gaze to my palms brushing each other. "You're the first person who treated me this way... these emotions I feel whenever you're around... they're foreign to me..."

Zackary's hand reached for my chin, gently pushing my head up to face him. In the car's compact space, we were so close we could hear each other breathing.

"You need to get used to it, Eleanor, because I won't stop making you feel this way," he told me. "I just need the assurance that I could protect you before I bring you into this."

"But Zack..." I mumbled. "You don't need to protect me. I'm trying to be strong so I won't have to bother anyone."

"I know." His voice was lower, almost in a whisper, matching my gaze. "You've been working hard and I wouldn't hinder it. You can continue to be who you want to be... just let me look after you."

Napatitig ako sa kanyang mga mata. The golden specks on his eyes... if I stare long enough, I might get lost in them. Zackary's thumb reached for my lower lip, pulling it down gently, making my mouth slightly part.

Emotions crashed into me like waves, making my heart burn like fire in my chest. Unti-unting humigpit ang hawak ko sa gilid ng upuan, natatakot sa tindi ng nararamdaman ko.

Hindi ko namalayan na nakapikit na ako. When I opened my eyes, Zackary was staring at me, a small smile on his lips. "Still too overwhelming?"

Napatango ako.

He placed a hand over my head, gently pulling me towards him, until he pressed a kiss on the side of my head. "I don't mind the waiting, Eleanor."

Binuhay niyang muli ang engine ng sasakyan and we continue to drive back to the apothecary.

But the beating of my heart remained overwhelming for me. Para akong nasa dagat at sari-saring alon ng emosyon ang nagdadala sa'kin, unti-unti ako nitong nilulunod.

Marahan akong napahawak sa aking dibdib, trying to breathe normally. This haze of emotion whenever I'm with Zackary is making me breathless.

--

Kinabukasan, pagbaba ko sa hall para mag-agahan, napansin ko agad na may kakaiba sa paligid. People were rushing, the seniors weren't around and the hall was filled with whispered conversations among the staff.

"Ano'ng nangyayari?" tanong ko kay Anabeth na balisang nakaupo sa table.

"A fire broke down in the north village last night," she told me. "Several people were injured."