Chapter 56: Origin

Chapter 56: Origin

Dumating ang weekend. Madaling araw palang ay sinundo na ako ni Alexander mula sa apothecary. With a simple sage green dress underneath a long brown coat, I took the passenger seat next to Alexander who was driving the car to the train station.

Sumulyap ako sa bintana ng sasakyan. Ito ang unang beses na makakatapak ako sa train station ng Van Zanth. Alexander told me that there used to be an old train station on the other side of town. Ang bagong train station na ginagamit ngayon ng mga residente ay pinatayo fifteen years ago.

Matapos ang halos kalahating oras na byahe, in the middle of a flat meadow and field was the train station. A concrete structure with a small bell tower and circular glass windows above different archways doors. From the outside, it looked close to an open church.

Station 11: Van Zanth

We arrived on the gravel driveway. There were few orders stationed in the area. Isa sa kanila ang agad nagtungo sa pintuan ng sasakyan upang buksan ito.

"Magandang umaga, Ms. Eleanor," bati nito. I greeted the order back with a smile.

Alexander was already outside the car talking to a group of orders. I roamed my eyes around the place. There were several cars in the gravel driveway, though smaller than the station I used to see in cities, the station was a busy one. Madaling araw palang ay may ilang residente na ang naghihintay dito. There's at least twenty people in the place, including the orders.

Alexander guided me inside. We pass by one of the several open doorways with archways above us. Ilan sa mga taong nasalubong namin sa loob ng station ay bahagyang yumuko bilang paggalang kay Alexander.

Alexander told me to wait at the bench while he line up for our tickets. The people stepped aside for him to go first. But Alexander insisted to line up with them.

Habang naghihintay, pinagmasdan ko ang loob ng station. There were several benches and seats surrounding a small fountain inside. The glass mosaic on the circular windows gave the place colors and it would be more breathtaking once the sun completely cast it lights through the colorful glass.

Upon receiving the tickets, binigay sa'kin ni Alexander ang isa. I stared at the name typed on the smooth paper. Town of Grassco. It was a half-a-day train ride from Van Zanth.

Makalipas ng ilang minutong paghihintay, a train arrived at the tracks. These trains pass different towns and cities from north to south. Again, before leaving, muling nagbilin si Alexander sa mga orders na nasa lugar.

Pagdating namin sa loob ng train, the conductor bowed to greet us. They said they were informed in advance about the Van Zanth's beta taking the train.

"Please follow me."

The conductor guided us in the far side of the train, separate from the other passengers. We arrived at a closed passenger compartment with a sliding door. Inside were two wide couches separated by a long sturdy table and wide enough space for several luggages.

"It's for security purposes," Alexander commented nang mapansin ang pagtataka ko. "Magpahinga ka muna. They will serve the breakfast an hour from now."

I sat comfortably on the couch and laid my eyes to the scenery outside the window. It was my first time seeing this part of town. I was used to the mountains and forest surrounding the town proper. But the train swiftly pass through meadows and green fields with running irrigation under the train tracks. I realized, it was my first time being away since I stepped in Van Zanth.

Breakfast and lunch were served throughout the half-a-day train ride. By twelve noon, we finally made it to Grassco. Alexander told me he had visited the town a few months back after becoming a beta. In Grassco, hybrids only occupies fifteen percent of it's population, which was a small percentage compared to Van Zanth where hybrids outnumbered humans.